Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2002 5:05:45 AM EDT
I found some orlite mags fairly cheap (i think $18.50)new. In the shotgun news. I just ordered a new RRA ar and this is my first ar. Are these mags any good? I like the fact that you dont have to worry about finish wear, that is why I thought these might be a good idea.
Thanks, Mike
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
TOO MUCH
Stick to USGI's
And if your patient you can get a good deal in the EE.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#2]
They're good range mags, but I wouldn't pay more than $10-$12 for them.  There are plenty out there since the Israeli forces switched to USGIs.

There was a guy in the Equipment Exchange (he also had a sale on ebay) who was selling reconditioned Orlites for $10 plus shipping.

I'd spend some of the time you're going to be waiting on that rifle at local gun shows.  You'll find better deals there and can compare wares from the various vendors.  $18.50 is WAY too much for an Orlite (new or not).
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything more that $10 - $12 for a Orlite is too much.

Remember this general rule of thumb: "Buy cheap, get cheap!".

Stick with USGI.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#4]
WARNING:

"reconditioned" orlites simply means they were spray painted flat black and a "made in israel" sticker slapped on the side. someone has a nice little racket going.
 a dealer at a show had a huge box of them for $8.99/mag a good deal if you root through and look for ones that arent damaged. it took about 15min but i found 10 good ones. 75% had cracked feedlips. the thin coat of paint applied does wonders to hide cracks. great range mags but dont pay more than $10 and then only if you can inspect them first
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Have to agree with above posts. I have a couple of 'em laying around here somewhere with cracked feed lips. Stick with the USGI mags and you'll sleep better.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#6]
They make good range mags, IF they're really in good shape.  

I have bought six Orlites and have one specific problem that occurs.  The front leg of the follower is short, like the old black followers, and as a result, when you get to round 27-29, you'll get a failure to feed.  The base of the round doesn't get pushed up enough to be hit by the bolt coming forward.  Its not a big deal if you're plinking, just annoying.  

Another nit is that it doesn't work well with the LULA.  Unloading is okay, but when loading I found you need to push the rounds in, because the plastic lips are thicker.

Don't ever buy them mail order.  Besides the problems mentioned above, the upper section gets worn so that the inner steel mesh shows through, and the next thing you know, the feed lips crack.  You need to be able to see this before you buy it.  I bought four from AIM and one of them was worn like this; used it once or twice and the feed lip cracked... into the trash can.

If you can get GOOD ones for <$10, then fine, buy 'em & stick 'em in your range bag, and save your USGI's for when the baloon goes up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a half a dozen. They work OK except they can swell under a full load and not drop free. I won't be getting any more.

$18.50 gets you nice USGI over in the Equipment Exchange.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, to all
I guess I will be sticking with the usgi.
Any preferences on twenty round V thirty round?
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]
30 round mags are great for blasting, 20 rounders are better off a bench.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top