Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2002 6:19:21 PM EDT
I bought a brand new Bushmaster 10 round mag at the gun show a couple weeks ago and tried to use it today at the range and it wouldn't feed. The cartage fed about a half inch into the chamber and jammed. I've got a RRA lower on a J&T kit.

Has any one experienced this problem and if so what was the fix?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar problem with my "ATF Approved" Bushmaster magazine.  
Have had no problems with any other mags.
My solution was to not use the magazine.  Couldn't find an easy fix due to the fact that the riveted design makes disassembly for troubleshooting impossible.  
Sorry that I can't be more helpful.  
Can only commiserate.
IMHO
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have any other mags to try with the rifle? If not I would recommend that you pick up a couple.

Do you have the older 10 round mag with the rivets in the side? These were known for being a big pain in the ass. The newer 10 round mags that Bushmaster sells have been the most reliable I have ever tried in a 10rnd mag.

Definitely get some USGI mags.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've yet to see a factory 10 rounder that worked well. All i have seen are cutdown 20rnders with a block and a logo stamped on them. I have 3-4 that were given to me by folks that bought new rifles. They are all junk. Better than usa mags but still junk.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Bushmaster is selling these mags and they do work just fine.
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/Images/8448670-10.jpg

Bushmaster is selling these mags and they do work just fine. . .

Maybe I ought to contact Bushmaster and inquire about a replacement.  Appears that my experience is unique.  If the magazines are generally reliable, then I'd like one that is typical.

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've yet to see a factory 10 rounder that worked well. All i have seen are cutdown 20rnders with a block and a logo stamped on them. I have 3-4 that were given to me by folks that bought new rifles. They are all junk. Better than usa mags but still junk.

Mike,
chexk you IM
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe I'm the lucky one but all the BM 10 round mags I have including the "frankenmags" all work fine for me.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The Bushmaster mag I'm talking about has a green follower, Black plastic floorplate, with "B.F.I Windham,ME U.S.A" and the Bushmaster logo. There are also appears to be black plastic tits on the side, I think they are retaining pins for the floorplate. It's very similar to VA-gunnut's photo above. And yes I tried other mags and they work just fine. The reason I purchased this mag was because everything I'd read about them indicated that they were reliable.

Any ideals on how to make this mag work, maybe trim the feed lips?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I would contact Bushmaster and see what they can do for you. I have tried over 10 different mags like the one in the photo; they all have functioned perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I solved my own problem. I loaded the mag with a couple rounds and the mag would feed properly. When it had a full 10 rounds the mag wouldn't lock into place with the bolt carrier forward. If I pulled the carrier open the mag would lock into place, BUT it still wouldn't feed a round. So, I took a small file and enlarged the mag catch hole a little bit at a time until it would latch with the carrier forward and now it feeds normally.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Bushmaster 10 rounder that the rear seam split on the 8th round (first time loaded). It looks like the weld was not hot enough to bond the two halves together. I e-mailed Bushmaster customer service and received a reply 2 weeks later saying they will replace it. I have not had the time to stick it in the mail yet, but I am happy they will replace it.
Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two of the Bushmaster Post Ban mags.  For once, someone builds a USGI type of post ban mag.  The function of this mag is as good as any USGI mag I have ever used and the teflon coating on the aluminum is far superior to the old moly based coating.

I only wish I could buy this type of quality in a 20 or 30 these days.  The LEO version of this mag is fantastic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Bushmaster mag I'm talking about has a green follower, Black plastic floorplate, with "B.F.I Windham,ME U.S.A" and the Bushmaster logo. There are also appears to be black plastic tits on the side, I think they are retaining pins for the floorplate. It's very similar to VA-gunnut's photo above. And yes I tried other mags and they work just fine. The reason I purchased this mag was because everything I'd read about them indicated that they were reliable.

Any ideals on how to make this mag work, maybe trim the feed lips?

I have the same mag, it doesnt work worth a damn either, I just dont use it.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top