Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2021 10:53:57 PM EDT
I was looking through all of my ammo and came across these 2 different bullets and can’t figure out what I have. My fault for not labeling it when I bought it years ago.

And this one from Montana Ammunition Co. (no longer a company from what I can tell):

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:33:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Pictures of headstamps?

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pictures of headstamps?

CD
View Quote

Both are Lake City.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Didn't Winchester have a OTM Training bullet that looked like the first picture ?

Or the Swedish Winc. ...https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/winchester-swedish-5-56-ammo/31614/2

I realize you said LC... but... that HP sure looks familiar.
View Quote

Nice! I believe you are correct on the ammo in the first pic being the same as in that link you provided. Appreciate that! I'll double check the stamps to make sure. Now to figure out the second one. The projectile is very round, not pointy like an FMJ. Guess I could pull one of the bullets to get a weight to go from there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Didn't Winchester have a OTM Training bullet that looked like the first picture ?

Or the Swedish Winc. ...https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/winchester-swedish-5-56-ammo/31614/2

I realize you said LC... but... that HP sure looks familiar.
View Quote

I'm looking at the Swedish stuff right now and the hollow point is much smaller than the first picture. Frankly it looks like a reload to me
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The Swedish stuff's hollow point is much smaller, and the hollow point is round, with what looks the the Winchester "talons" in the cavity. The Swedish bullet also lacks a cannelure, but the pictured bullet has one. The first bullet shows the jacket as pinched together. It looks like a Sierra game king bullet with the cannelure and cross shaped nose, so it could be a reload or a factory round.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
First round looks like some Winchester 45 Grain JHP’s I used to shoot ages ago.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Update:

I don’t have a way to measure grains, just grams and both bullets weigh 4 grams (~62 grains) after pulling them from the case.

The hollow points are .792” long and the round nose are .724” long. Here’s a pic of the rear of both bullets.

1st one (hollow points):

2nd one (round nose):

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#10]

That's it! Has to be. When it was sold to me (years ago) I remember the guy mentioning something about the FBI. It was at a gun show. Really appreciate all of the help from everyone on that one. Anything special on the second round? Looks like a jacketed lead bullet with a round nose in the 62 grain area.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top