Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 4:47:22 PM EDT
Gun store has crates of this stuff for $680 each or if you buy two or more for $650. 1060 rounds a crate. Any issues in modern semiauto rifles or
suppressors ? Should I fo?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like S&B made surplus from Czechoslovakia, berdan primed and might be corrosive?

https://gun.deals/product/308-winchester-military-surplus-cheap-5301060-rds

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/corrosive-308-surplus.66788/
View Quote

Thank you! Maybe it would be good for a bolt action rifle not a tavor
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
So, what does the LGS say about it? Corrosive or not?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, what does the LGS say about it? Corrosive or not?
View Quote

Forgot to ask
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like S&B made surplus from Czechoslovakia, berdan primed and might be corrosive?

https://gun.deals/product/308-winchester-military-surplus-cheap-5301060-rds

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/corrosive-308-surplus.66788/
View Quote
That's what it looks like to me.  It always seems like this stuff comes out of the woodwork when an ammo panic hits.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's what it looks like to me.  It always seems like this stuff comes out of the woodwork when an ammo panic hits.
View Quote

A lot of total crap rises to the surface during a panic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
So I take it I shouldn’t buy this stuff?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If you do decide to buy it and actually shoot it be damn sure to scrub your weapon completely submerged in hot soapy water.

If you don't it'll look like it sat on the bottom of the ocean for 300 years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Would you get a better answer in the Ammunition subforum?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You are correct, moving it now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would you get a better answer in the Ammunition subforum?
You are correct, moving it now.

I didn’t think this would be the right sub forum since it’s not AR15 related. Should have an ammunition section in armory.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Definitely corrosive, but it always went bang and was reasonably accurate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Corrosive and for S&B, quality was not the best.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's one of the good things to come out of ammo panic shortages. Weird foreign ammo showing up from who knows where.

I would avoid that ammo OP, unless the price is a steal and you truly NEED it.

Re-read the post and the price is NOT a steal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Czech (S&B mil contract) ball.  Headstamp will be either AXN or BXN.  Corrosive.

It is not Port, but will shoot with most 7.62 ball.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I shot a lot of that..(still have the wooden crates)
It is corrosive, but was all very reliable.
I would snap it up if it was a good price. You just have to clean after every range trip.

I did find out the hard way when I discovered the gas piston on my L1A1 build had rust on it after a range trip and a few weeks sitting in the basement....
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#19]
How much cleaning are we talking about? I want to shoot it in a tavor 7 with dead air nomad. Do I have to remove the whole gas system and scrub if I only shoot like 20 rounds?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How much cleaning are we talking about? I want to shoot it in a tavor 7 with dead air nomad. Do I have to remove the whole gas system and scrub if I only shoot like 20 rounds?
View Quote

Not sure I would shoot that ammo with a can on... Just the rifle, you could clean it like you normally would.

But you have a high end (Expensive) gun and can, so I would probably not shoot corrosive.

Dumping boiling hot water down the barrel and in the can is a way to get rid of the corrosive salts that the ammo leaves inthe bore and bolt.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not sure I would shoot that ammo with a can on... Just the rifle, you could clean it like you normally would.

But you have a high end (Expensive) gun and can, so I would probably not shoot corrosive.

Dumping boiling hot water down the barrel and in the can is a way to get rid of the corrosive salts that the ammo leaves inthe bore and bolt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s what I’m afraid of.
I have always shot federal m80 ball. But I can’t find that anywhere anymore.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#22]
It is dirty and corrosive. I shot some up and sold the rest
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Went through 2 cases of that. Good stuff. I just sprayed down whatever semi I put it through with Ballistol mixed with water. Never had an issue with rust. I'm not familiar with the care of suppressors though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Pull the powder and bullet. Reuse it.  You will should have extra powder for a few rounds.  

Sell the cases for like 10cents each.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Went through 2 cases of that. Good stuff. I just sprayed down whatever semi I put it through with Ballistol mixed with water. Never had an issue with rust. I'm not familiar with the care of suppressors though.
View Quote

Just the barrel of whole gas system and piston too?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just the barrel of whole gas system and piston too?
View Quote

I shot a ton of it out of a Valmet M-78. I poured hot water and sprayed windex down the barrel, the gas block, piston, and gas tube.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought several cases & sill have a couple left that I'm working my way through & like it.  Yes it's corrosive but if you clean your rifle afterwards it won't be a problem.  It was pretty cheap back when surplus .308 was starting to dry up & a lot of people were scared of by the corrosive part, which left more for the rest of us.  I shoot it through my Scout M1a & Sig 716.  $650 isn't bad at todays prices.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#28]
It will be fine. Just make sure to clean it after shooting the ammo.

PS: sorry not sure about having a can on it though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I bought some and it’s shit. I shot 40 rounds this last weekend. 9 wouldn’t even fire. The rest that did almost all had half second hang fire.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top