Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2021 8:57:15 PM EDT
I picked up a few of these rounds in a trade and I don't know anything about them. Have you seen this before, where they mill out the identification on the case head, then print it on the side of the round?

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correctly.. sg ammo put out something like this.. it was Saltech or MEN or similar, euro 762x51 that had the head stamp milled off and was sold as surplus
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
German (as I recall).  To comply with their laws on export of ammunition, can't be "military."  Military supplies export are controlled by the government.  So the military headstamp was destroyed and nomenclature stamped on the case side.  Some had the lot number on the case.  All to make it "commercial" in the eyes of their laws.

Imported into the US not too long ago.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
DAK vampire rounds
I have a bunch....one of my favorites and it is German
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DAK vampire rounds
I have a bunch....one of my favorites and it is German
View Quote

DAK or DAG?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I have those without the milled out headstamp. Good ammo. Some sealant residue at the bolt face but o/w pretty clean and combat accurate.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#8]
That’s how surplus ammo are being sold here in Europe.
There’s a mix of German & danish ammo that a company label repackage & resell.
Those should be 147/150gr.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the European countries had NATO force Germany to stop making that ammo with the cupro-nickel FMJ bullets because they are absolutely devastating on humans.
They tumble and break apart like 5.56 M193 out of 1:12 twist 20 inch barrels, but at 3 times the mass. Not as humane as landmines and hand grenades I guess.

Inspect cases for areas of what looks like pink corrosion. The 20 round boxes they used to be issued in had a chemical that reacted to the brass sitting against against the cardboard.
Still safe to range shoot if just on surface of brass, but I wouldn't keep corroded one's for bet my life service. I have plenty of "clean" rounds loaded in mags and ready to go because they are accurate as hell and have sealed primers and necks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Have some old DAG that was discounted for corrosion, i think from Copes.
Little cleaning and inspection for pits and it's great shooting stuff
I would buy lots more if i could
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top