Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2021 11:50:02 PM EDT
I've been going through my ammo and finding a lot of it is getting old.  Some I bought 20 years ago and it was surplus then.  

I'm trying to ID some 308.  Headstamp has "F R" at 12 o'clock, 7.62 at 6 o'clock, and five point stars at 3 and 9 o'clock.  No year marking so it could be commercial but I thought I remember only ever buying South African surplus 140 round packs.

Any ideas?  I'd post a picture but no longer have any hosting. Fixed

My real goal is to determine a date of manufacture if possible.  I have headstamps dating back to 1968, 1972 & 1980 so this stuff could be old.  I guess Q2 is how old is too old?

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Off the top of my head it sounds like surplus from Chile or another South American country. Can you PM me a pic of the headstamp?

Edit: based on some research I did, these might have been made in Mexico. I don't recall Mexican 7.62x51mm coming in as surplus though. Waiting on a pic of the headstamp to forward to my cartridge collector friends for confirmation.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
FR is listed as Brazilian here

https://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Confirmed Brazil.

I don't read Portuguese, but from what I found, I think this factory closed in 1977. If so, this ammunition is at least 43-44 years old...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Confirmed Brazil.

I don't read Portuguese, but from what I found, I think this factory closed in 1977. If so, this ammunition is at least 43-44 years old...
View Quote

Thanks DevilDog!

This is good, I guess I can use some ammo with experience.

ETA: Sorry Frens, good call.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#5]
My first go-to resource is the IAA checklist that Frens mentioned, but with that list context is everything. There is a near identical headstamp with the same factory code on Mexican .30-06 so I was waiting for confirmation from another source...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top