Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 3:02:20 PM EDT
A long time ago I read that the 5.7 cartridge gets its allure from a hardened, completely plastic bullet, and that it went through 57 bullet proof vests in a test. Is this true?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
First I’ve heard that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
That's quite a laughable concept.

A 50bmg ought to not make it through 50+ level 2 vests.

Its a small caliber, high velocity, AP (I believe hardened steel in the 5.7) bullet. No shit it goes through soft armor.

It's basically 5.56-light, and the real uproar is that its a "handgun" caliber. Because we all know thugs buy really high dollar, service+ size pistols with expensive ammo, not hipoints with wolf fmj or tiny saturday-night-special pocket pistols.

Also, this doesn't really belong in reloading. I'd expect it moved to one of the ammo subs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Removed, this is not GD, dryflash3
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The SS90 prototype round had a FMJ over a polymer core, but they soon settled on the SS190 round that had a steel penerator and aluminum core.  This is the armor piercing round, and was designed for the P90, which was made to a military specification for a PDW, and armor piercing was one of the requirements.  Most commercial ammo is conventional lead core ammo of various weights, some with a plastic tip, but not considered armor piercing.  Much of the appeal of the 5.7 is from a small very high velocity round, usually combined with a 50 round mag in the P/PS90.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The allure was it was the smallest cartridge the had the hydrostatic energy to shatter the pelvis.

Thus it was also small enough to fit a large frame pistol where it loses that ability but the accompanied pdw the p90 could keep that ability is a small form factor.

The hk 4.6 offering did the same I believe but was never offered in a pistol just the mp7.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
There isn’t a 5.7 projectile in the world that can go through a fraction that number of vests unless they’re made of newspaper.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There isn’t a 5.7 projectile in the world that can go through a fraction that number of vests unless they’re made of newspaper.
View Quote

Yeah you might find something that could go through 57 layers of material depending on how thick it was and how it was constructed but still nothing like 57 vests.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll give you a dollar if it could get through 57 pieces of drywall.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A long time ago I read that the 5.7 cartridge gets its allure from a hardened, completely plastic bullet, and that it went through 57 bullet proof vests in a test. Is this true?
View Quote

Yes, you are wrong about the 5.7...........  horribly wrong.  
None of what you believe is correct....
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Usually what I do when I come across a claim that seems extraordinary I spend a bit of time searching various parts of the claim to see if I can get any hits online. In this day and age stuff like that is pretty well documented so you will most likely get a couple results back.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#12]
57 vests no. 57 layers, depending on the material, very likely.

SS190, is a clone of SS109, but with an aluminum core. I've never measured the SS190 tip to the SS109 tip, but I believe they are very close. At 2000 fps from the FSN, I believe I penetrated 3 level IIIA panels consisting of all aramid fiber.  I've done the same with the subsonic SB193 as well (pretty cool the subsonic bullet can do this), and some of the exotic copper offerings from Elite Ammo, and the Vanguard Outfitter's Black Dragon Fang
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
57 vests no. 57 layers, depending on the material, very likely.

SS190, is a clone of SS109, but with an aluminum core. I've never measured the SS190 tip to the SS109 tip, but I believe they are very close. At 2000 fps from the FSN, I believe I penetrated 3 level IIIA panels consisting of all aramid fiber.  I've done the same with the subsonic SB193 as well (pretty cool the subsonic bullet can do this), and some of the exotic copper offerings from Elite Ammo, and the Vanguard Outfitter's Black Dragon Fang
View Quote

The original claim that led to the misunderstanding was probably related to 57 layers.  That'd be my guess...

Then again, maybe it was 57 vests, shot separately, one round per each...

Forrest
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top