Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2020 6:26:46 PM EDT
Again, just looking for powder, saw some 5.56mm on the shelf and asked for a box, and got this.

Attachment Attached File

Is this the same thing as the milspec issue, or just marketing hype? It says "target" on the box, and I wasn't sure. Only can get one 20 round box at a time, so with two visits I have one mag worth and ten rounds to fire for POI.
Just curious, stupid newbie.

If you are near Casa Grande, $12 out the door for a box.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Standard M855
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like same stuff Academy has been getting, $10 a box.  If you needed some I would go every day till you get enough or they run out
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if I need it. I will try a few rounds to see where it prints, but I usually roll my own when it comes to .223/5.56mm. What does M855 do better that I need a bunch? Serious question, don't know. Full disclosure - the rifle I used in the military was an M14, so the ins and outs of 5.56mm wasn't well explained.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
M855/M193

Some basic information.

M193 > M855 for most applications IMO.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're limited to 2 boxes, get whatever you can.

Generally speaking, the M855/green tip/SS109 rounds are a little more inaccurate than M193 and its clones, due to a little more variability in the penetrator.  Some other NATO countries make their own, which might be more or less accurate than US spec.  There are also 62 grain FMJs available, but not many manufacture it.  

Neither are "great" on people - M855 punches a bit, and with most rifles being 1/7 or 1/8, the M193 is probably over stabilized.   But... that's relatively speaking. Both do the job. But compared to something like Gold Dots or TMK rounds ...

The M193 seems to do better on AR500 armor too, versus M855.  AFAIK, no real differences with hard armor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
After I got my two boxes they sold out, of course. I doubt they will get more - their ammo/reloading supplies are haphazard and the staff state they cannot order specific things, just take whatever the truck brings in. Oh well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Again, just looking for powder, saw some 5.56mm on the shelf and asked for a box, and got this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/360589/20201218_152039_HDR__1__1__jpg-1737287.JPG

Is this the same thing as the milspec issue, or just marketing hype? It says "target" on the box, and I wasn't sure. Only can get one 20 round box at a time, so with two visits I have one mag worth and ten rounds to fire for POI.

View Quote

Given Winchester's reputation for poor accuracy (my experience over the years), that's pretty funny, calling it "target".  Maybe it means it'll hit somewhere on the target?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Generally I load my own, but I like to have some factory stuff around sometimes. I don't recall shooting any Winchester ammo recently.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Never a bad idea to have some factory stuff, even for reloaders.  I picked up some of that a BPS a little while back even though I'm not a big M855 fan, but I'd rather have it than not.  I assume it'll atleast be MoM at defensive distances.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#10]
It should be standard m855.

Possible that it failed QC or .mil acceptance for some reason that is immaterial to commercial sporting ammo. E.g still meets SAAMI spec for pressure, but the groups were ¼" too big, or maybe someone messed up and they tumbled the loaded rounds (no annealing iris), could have been pre/post-run before the machine was right and they shoot 50fps slow.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/360589/20201218_152039_HDR__1__1__jpg-1737287.JPG

View Quote

This is new Winchester M855, green steel tip "penetrator" ammo, which is classified as "Light armor piercing" but not really an armor piercing round (black tip).  Some ranges will not allow any steel in your ammo, tip included so be aware to check if that applies to you.  This should be quality Lake City ammo, virtually the same as what Federal puts out as XM855 as Winchester took over the plant in the last year.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Given Winchester's reputation for poor accuracy (my experience over the years), that's pretty funny, calling it "target".  Maybe it means it'll hit somewhere on the target?
View Quote

This is likely brand new Lake City Winchester ammo, not made in their old plant so less likely to have those issues.  Probably has an "LC" serial code somewhere on the box.  We've been seeing a big increase in Winchester 5.56 and 9mm ammo since they took over and started ramping up capacity at the Lake City plant.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is new Winchester M855, green steel tip "penetrator" ammo, which is classified as "Light armor piercing" but not really an armor piercing round (black tip).  Some ranges will not allow any steel in your ammo, tip included so be aware to check if that applies to you.  This should be quality Lake City ammo, virtually the same as what Federal puts out as XM855 as Winchester took over the plant in the last year.
View Quote

Many reports of variation in case lengths / OAL/ inconsistent crimps and sealants / poor accuracy.

Also...

The ATF did not ban the so called green tip bullets because under section 18 U.S.C. 921(a) (17)(c), it does not fall into the armor piercing classification, as do numerous other bullets. The M855 bullet is a green tip but not armor piercing, as is the M855 A1 bullet which is not sold to the public.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Ah. Also my range has no restrictions - it's a private range. :)
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top