Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2020 10:04:26 AM EDT
I picked up a can of this about 15 years ago, and it seems most of the available info vanished. Anyone have more specs? Does not cycle the action, and is loud. I believe the projectile is plastic. From what I recall, an Israeli version of French training and/or anti-terrorist ammo.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Izzy SRTA...needs M2 training bolt to function your M4 correctly.  Remember, this is still a lethal round at short range.

18Z50
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
They look like crayons.

Do not issue to Marines!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
This is not the same as the blue plastic SRTA ammo, but I can certainly see it having a similar purpose. I have some of that (and the M2 bolt). I seem to recall that this does not work properly with the M2 bolt, but will have to try again (it's been sitting for over a decade).
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting indeed. Don't suppose you have 100 rounds you'd sell for me to demo? :D
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is not the same as the blue plastic SRTA ammo, but I can certainly see it having a similar purpose. I have some of that (and the M2 bolt). I seem to recall that this does not work properly with the M2 bolt, but will have to try again (it's been sitting for over a decade).
View Quote

The M862 is brass cased, not the blue stuff which is different.  

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m862.htm

BTW...… If you didn't know already...… the actual m862 round has a rebated rim (smaller than the regular ball ammo) which is what the M2 Bolt is designed to use.
(It's a means to prevent the use of BALL ammo with the M2 Bolt, which would be BAD).
So maybe, if I understand your comments, check the Israeli stuff to see if it's rebated as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Blue projectile, yes, not the full length blue case. This stuff: http://www.ammo-one.com/5-56DagPlastic.html

I have several boxes of that, along with the M2 bolt.

As for a rebated rim on the Israeli stuff, I'll have to take a look. I could have sworn I stuck a round of M862 on a stripper clip with a few other random rounds, but could be wrong. Might have some time this weekend to check.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Blue projectile, yes, not the full length blue case. This stuff: http://www.ammo-one.com/5-56DagPlastic.html

As for a rebated rim on the Israeli stuff, I'll have to take a look. I could have sworn I stuck a round of M862 on a stripper clip with a few other random rounds, but could be wrong. Might have some time this weekend to check.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google the M862 and find the specs...... US M862 has a more rebated rim (IIRC by a few thousands).
Use a caliper...... a stripper clip is not going to work.  
I have no idea if the Israeli is as well....... just a thought as to your issues.

Read the 2nd paragraph:
https://www.rbta.net/olin-winchester-m862-short-range-training-ammunition/
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Google the M862 and find the specs...... US M862 has a more rebated rim (IIRC by a few thousands).
Use a caliper...... a stripper clip is not going to work.  
I have no idea if the Israeli is as well....... just a thought as to your issues.
View Quote

Spot on!

Not noticeable to the eye, but the M862 seats in the bolt face, whereas the israeli is too large.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Haven't seen those in awhile, these were the plastic bullets we would use in the "disputed" lands when I was in, mid '90s.  They were an early attempt at less than lethal, which proved to be not always the case.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never seen those.
Back in the 90's I bought some German "short range ammo" that is a jacket with a semi exposed plastic core. It was fairly accurate out to 100 yards but would not always cycle in my AR. Does cycle fine in my WARS-3 though.

Weird ammo is always neat.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top