Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2017 7:21:48 PM EDT
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased 250 rounds of American Quality brand 62 grain FMJ for about $90.00 after shipping on bulkammo.  Here is the problem, like a sucker I bought them because of how good of a deal it was before reviewing the brand.  First problem is searching American Quality brand will literally yield NOTHING in terms of contact info or company info.  I have found very few and very mixed reviews on their ammo as well.  There is one youtube video review that is obviously an employee and someone commented that he was having blown out primers and he kept shooting (stupid I know) and blew up his Springfield Saint.  Not what you want to hear..

Second the headstamp does not have any caliber markings, only "01-GR-14"  From what I can find on headstamp catalogues they were obviously made in 2014 possibly in Germany, the catalogue also said 01 means Germany.   These are advertised as American made.  I am actually a little scared to shoot them, the rounds dont look bad, they look fine, all the primers are flush and even etc.  But some of the reviews I have seen are what scare me.

Has anyone here had any experiences with this ammo?  If not then I am going to go ahead and take them to the range tomorrow and I will test them in as controlled a manner as possible and report back.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:51:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of them, but I will say that's isn't a smoking deal or anything at the moment. Google search pulls up lots of discussions about that ammo and in a brief scan it's mixed. Some good some so so. It's probably safe though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't buy cars from "Honest John," and I'm suspicious of any brand that throws both "American" and "quality" in the brand name.

With that said, there is a LOT of discussion a bout this brand in a variety of forums. Not a lot of it is positive.

Good luck with your ammo.  I hope yours is actually "quality."
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a positive & informative  discussion on this with Melluns on a different forum, but thought I'd share my issue with this ammo here on this page. Noteworthy- His head stamp, although from the "same manufacturer", was quite different from mine. Mine was "LC16" with a NATO cross/circle stamp. I think mine were reloads, although the owner of ARMSCOR (who supposedly makes American Quality Ammunition on their own "state of the art equipment") claims they are all brand new bulk ammo. He also claimed it was impossible to over-charge a 5.56 with powder because there's no room in the cartridge. I think the ammo "manufacturer" was lacking in knowledge or trying to cover up.

First, as Melluns experienced, it was filthy ammo. After I managed to get my BCG out at home later, it looked like I'd been firing black powder. I also kept losing primers, finding them everywhere including jamming up my FCG. The primers blew out, although there were no other indications of pressure problems on the spent brass that managed to stay intact. Recoil was very inconsistent. The last round, which blew apart my magazine, broke my extractor, and jammed my BCG 1/8" from full battery, kicked at least twice as hard as the others. The base of the cartridge blew apart, and what didn't frag bulges out about 1/32" beyond the rest of the casing. I also had a round that jammed, only to discover after picking it up from the floor later that the bullet was loose in the brass. Unlike Melluns, though, my batch's accuracy wasn't too bad.

Wish there was a way to upload photos here. If you'd like to see, send me your email & will send you a pic.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine bought some of this . After his experience I would avoid it
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:59:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't buy cars from "Honest John," and I'm suspicious of any brand that throws both "American" and "quality" in the brand name.
View Quote
I had to LOL at this.  This shit right here is so totally true.  Bonus points on the "run away! run fast, run hard" scale, if they throw in some scripture somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had to LOL at this.  This shit right here is so totally true.  Bonus points on the "run away! run fast, run hard" scale, if they throw in some scripture somewhere.  
View Quote
Yep.  "Honest John 3:16" is a signal to run away so fast you leave a hole in the air.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#8]
On one web site it says (CTD) "American Quality Ammunition was formed in 1981 to meet the stringent needs of Law enforcement agencies on the West coast. Each round is hand inspected, every lot is velocity and pressure tested making this ammunition unsurpassed in both the LE and Commercial markets. Proudly made in America by American's who believe in only producing quality products, American Quality Ammunition. "

And, Armscorp was not even on the horizon back then?

Looks like it is boutique commercial reloader with similar packaging to that of some boutique reloaders out of Idaho.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top