Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2017 1:12:10 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Grossly inconsistent seat depth, and the bullet on the right is indeed crooked.

New production lot. Seeing the same issue with multiple lots with both Winchester M855 AND Q3131...
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Another pic... looks like really poor quality bullets or two different types?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
WOW I would be afraid to shoot it. The one furthest to the right looks slanted.

I bought a lots of PMC for SHTF and it seems consistent and priced well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:14:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Would not shoot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like seconds/rejects.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#5]
That reminds me why I buy Wolf Gold and ZQI instead of US made 193 and 855.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#8]
You've heard of "Once fired brass", now you have heard of "Once chambered"....
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#9]
The Winchester M855 I had was nice. Did you buy it from a reputable place?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#10]
That shit is FAKE like CNN news.  OP got took on this one.  The second from the right appears to be a different bullet completely compared to the others and the green paint just does not look like the real 855 I have handled and shot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Winchester 5.56 is the shittiest ammo out there. I bought 500 rounds of that crap and it groups and cycles multiple rifles all over the place. Never finished that garage off.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The profile of the bullet second from the right looks more like a 55gr M193.
View Quote
It does. That round 2nd from left appears to be seated crooked as well.

OP, where did you buy that stuff?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That shit is FAKE like CNN news.  OP got took on this one.  The second from the right appears to be a different bullet completely compared to the others and the green paint just does not look like the real 855 I have handled and shot.
View Quote
It is straight from a major firearms / ammunition distributor (no retail sales) who received it directly from Winchester. I personally opened the factory sealed cases.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It is straight from a major firearms / ammunition distributor (no retail sales) who received it directly from Winchester. I personally opened the factory sealed cases.
View Quote
Was it "XM855" ?   I thought I remembered that a lot of the stuff with the XM didn't pass QC but was determined still safe to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Was it "XM855" ?   I thought I remembered that a lot of the stuff with the XM didn't pass QC but was determined still safe to shoot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is a stupid mith that needs to die! It's packaging codes only
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
that is a stupid mith that needs to die! It's packaging codes only
View Quote
Thank you for correcting it then!  
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I do have to admit that when looking at each round they appear to be of different diameter and different degree of seating depth.

I don't think I ever seen pretty or consistent M193 or M855 rounds from manufacturers that actually supply them to the US military. They all have imperfections, some of which are concerning if you look too closely. I think what happens is they put them in huge drums and some dude is just fork lifting it around. Probably the military says no more after getting their quota or rejecting the entire lot. They then take these huge drums, dump them out and repackage them to you. In that process, I believe these sort of imperfections happen. Probably sweat shop workers being paid minimum wage and told they have to package it or else they gonna chop their hands off.

Actually I don't know if that happens. My thought is if you bought it from a reputable person/store, see if you can return it. If it was me, I think what I would do is simply discard the offending rounds if there aren't many of them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
The "X" stands for a different factory. Federal claims that the XM193 lineup are made at the civilian plant, away from the military plant. The "X" could also be a protection sort of like Colt's pin attempt. They could claim, "Hey, we're not making military rounds, but something similar but not really."

Now, there is such a thing as "rejected" M193/M855. However, "rejects" are not exactly what you think they are. They simply mean that the military inspected the drum of ammo, and found something that they didn't like. Could be a number of things like they test fired it and it didn't meet their velocity. They, the military, general reject the entire lot if something doesn't meet their criteria which are very strict. Just because it is "rejected" it doesn't mean that they are bad and should be destroyed. They simply mean they did not meet military standards. Federal or any of the big suppliers tend to take the lot and repackage them back to civilians.

Think of it this way. A really fat guy could attempt to join the military. He'd go to the recruiting office and get "rejected." That doesn't mean he should be killed and shoved in a dumpster. It simply means he's not up for military's strict standards and therefore "rejected" but he could go on and become a security guard.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought some of that over the summer and thought it was strange. Only a few in every box of 20 I grabbed. Never ended up shooting it. Stashed it in the dooms day ammo  can and haven't bought any since then.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:46:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The "X" stands for a different factory. Federal claims that the XM193 lineup are made at the civilian plant, away from the military plant. The "X" could also be a protection sort of like Colt's pin attempt. They could claim, "Hey, we're not making military rounds, but something similar but not really."

Now, there is such a thing as "rejected" M193/M855. However, "rejects" are not exactly what you think they are. They simply mean that the military inspected the drum of ammo, and found something that they didn't like. Could be a number of things like they test fired it and it didn't meet their velocity. They, the military, general reject the entire lot if something doesn't meet their criteria which are very strict. Just because it is "rejected" it doesn't mean that they are bad and should be destroyed. They simply mean they did not meet military standards. Federal or any of the big suppliers tend to take the lot and repackage them back to civilians.

Think of it this way. A really fat guy could attempt to join the military. He'd go to the recruiting office and get "rejected." That doesn't mean he should be killed and shoved in a dumpster. It simply means he's not up for military's strict standards and therefore "rejected" but he could go on and become a security guard.
View Quote
Stop perpetuating that bs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stop perpetuating that bs.
View Quote
How so? Even Federal themselves said their XM193/XM855 doesn't meet military standards. They took the page down years ago when things started heating up and people read it all wrong.

There's nothing wrong with using "rejected" ammo because it simply means it hasn't met military standards. It's still good to fire.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember my first rifle qual.

Besides the one booger on the right, first pic, that's pretty normal for what they give you for rifle qual...
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another pic... looks like really poor quality bullets or two different types?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282730/wcm855-1-182330.JPG
View Quote
Man, the one almost looks like a 7.62x39 lol.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Wow.  I've never been impressed by Winchester "quality", and have heard their new plant they moved to has even worse QC problems, but didn't know it was that bad.  That ammo looks like shit.  I hope you got that for one Hell of a deal.  As in... like, Free.  Shit, that looks about on par with the "is this ammo recovered from jams safe to shoot" thread a couple lines further down (where most people said don't bother, discard that ammo in that thread).

Wow.  That's confidence inspiring.  I'm sure the powder-dispensing team though are super-on-the-ball, despite the fact that the bullet fabrication department appears to be a bunch of drunks, and the seating department mailed it in, and the tip painting department has less pride in their work than Syrian airbase tree-trimmer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Umm Winchester has been doing this for ever!    Factory ammo and Bulk bullets for reloading with obviously different forming die
Ogive.   They don't care to seperate one machine's different output from another.  

There is a reason their component bullets cannot compete in the accuracy department.

They have very low  QC standards on that item.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:58:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Winchester M855 has always sucked in my book. PPU M855 from Korea is what I'd buy, if I had to buy M855.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#27]
It's PMC that Korean.

But yes I agree about the Win 855
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#28]
You guys have to remember that this is not match grade ammunition. If you're in doubt about the projectile find a magnet, they should stick. I say shoot it. I've shot far worse looking .50 cal when I was still on active duty.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The profile of the bullet second from the right looks more like a 55gr M193.
View Quote
It sure does...

Hey OP, see if it attracts to a magnet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sadly... Winc. QC ( IMHO ) is no where near what it was 20 years ago.
View Quote
Odd, Winchester is my go-to ammo. I get the best results from it. All other bulk ammo is 3rd best to it (Federal XM193, ZQI, Perfecta, etc). IMI gets a real close 2nd.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#32]
That second to last bullet is a Hollow Point looks like to me.  Definitely not a SS109 projectile. Ogive is way too blunt.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There's a lot of real estate between "not match grade" and "can't even get the right bullet in the case".
View Quote
True and until the OP disassembles the round and then dissect the offending projectile it will not be known if it is incorrect. Looks can be deceiving, also shit happens, no one knows how that ammo was handled prior to purchase. As someone who worked at a big box retail store while in college, I'll tell you that  I'll not buy ammo from wally world.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There's a lot of real estate between "not match grade" and "can't even get the right bullet in the case".
View Quote
I concur. If I had nothing else to shoot, and I HAD to shoot, sure.

On the range/normal day?  No fucking way. I have no problem using my tools. Putting those through, especially that one on the right?  Sheesh!  That's borderline abuse/asking for trouble.  I'm slightly embellishing but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like XM855!! That is why I do not buy it, even the green tips are uneven.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I went to a local store and saw win m855 on sale. I was pleasantly surprised to see 2017 production. Interestingly there were two types of 2017 production headstamps. Some were the old style with more space between characters.  Anyone know why there are two types?
Also I was surprised to see 2016 headstamps in the same box! They were all like that
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I remember my first rifle qual.

Besides the one booger on the right, first pic, that's pretty normal for what they give you for rifle qual...
View Quote
This.

It will all function and is likely within the accuracy standard for mil 855.  

I think that standard is crazy low....like 4 MOA or so, but measured via AMR or similar...I could be wrong, it's been years since I cared about green tip.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.

I think that standard is crazy low....like 4 MOA or so, but measured via AMR or similar...I could be wrong, it's been years since I cared about green tip.
View Quote
3.11 Accuracv .. Both average vertical standard deviation
and the average horizontal standard deviation shall be no
greater than 6.8 inches at 600 yards, or alternatively, no
greater than 1.8 inches at 200 yards., The alternate 200.-yard
accuracy test is permitted only on an indoor range which may be
used only in the event of unsuitable outdoor weather conditions
as described in Section 3.1 of SCATP-5.56 rmnHeavy Bullet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Thanks, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I've said it before- Wolf steel case is better ammo than Winchester ammo from Korea.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top