Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2016 4:43:03 PM EDT
SRC claims that you get 3000fps out of a 20" barrel with an 87 grain round.  I'm wondering how this is possible.The case is a 223 necked up so it either has the
same powder capacity or possibly less than a 223. . A 75 Grain 223/556(12 grains lighter) might  get you 2800fps out of a 22-24" barrel.   The only thing left is pressure, but how could you
beef up pressure to get this velocity w/o damaging the gun?.  I've looked for specs and the only spec I don't see is pressure. Does anyone have any insight
on this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The .257 barrel has a more efficient burn. The larger the diameter gives more volume for combustion. The .223 really was designed around a long barrel and requires a 24" barrel to get the same burn profile as a 20" 25-45 sharps.
Powders play a role somewhat but in the end this equation is constant.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#2]
We saw 2885fps (average over 10
Shots) originally, when they first released the .25-45 Sharps, and the velocity claims were from a 24" barrel.
Later they changed it to a 20" barrel for the velocity claims, and with newer ammo we were seeing just shy of 3000fps (2985, IIRC). This was with the 87gr ammo.

I have some of the new 70gr Sierra BlizKing ammo, which I believe will be in the 3100+ fps range with a 20" barrel. Impressive, to say the least. I hope it flies well, as the trajectory looks pretty flat out to 300+ yards. I need to chrono the load, which I hope to do ASAP.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]
It will be interesting to see your chrono results.  I have always wondered why Eugene Stoner did not select some variant to the 24 cal bullet for the AR-15, as I'm sure others have.  Then you remember the Army's spec for the new ammo
that it had to pierce both sides of  a metal helmet at 100 yards.  Maybe an 70-80 grain .24 cal would have too much cross section and not enough velocity  to do this, who knows.  But one thing I'm sure many have thought about is how well an .24-.25 caliber
bullet would solve some of the inadequacies of the 5.56/.223 round.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see your chrono results.  I have always wondered why Eugene Stoner did not select some variant to the 24 cal bullet for the AR-15, as I'm sure others have.  Then you remember the Army's spec for the new ammo
that it had to pierce both sides of  a metal helmet at 100 yards.  Maybe an 70-80 grain .24 cal would have too much cross section and not enough velocity  to do this, who knows.  But one thing I'm sure many have thought about is how well an .24-.25 caliber
bullet would solve some of the inadequacies of the 5.56/.223 round.
View Quote

It was a continuation of the scamp and other programs that led to the .224 diameter. Mainly lofty weight requiremnts and burst dispersion goals required minimal overall weight/recoil. I think the 6mm or higher is better as well.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top