Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2016 11:18:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon]
Nosler 77 Grain Custom Competition

In 2003, Nosler introduced their .224" 77 grain Custom Competition HPBT bullet as an obvious competitor to the 77 grain Sierra MatchKing.  The shape and ballistic coefficient of the Nosler bullet is very similar to that of the Sierra MatchKing.  The Nosler bullet does have one major difference from the Sierra MatchKing; it is constructed using the thinner J4 copper jacket.

I recall an early Nosler advertisement for their Custom Competition bullet  that included a phrase saying the bullet was “ideal for military and law enforcement,” hinting at the possibilities of improved fragmentation due to the thinner J4 jacket.  Thanks to the works of Dr. G.K. Roberts and B&T Ammo Labs, we know that the 77 grain Nosler bullet loaded to 5.56mm velocities has superior terminal ballistic properties to that of the 77 grain Sierra MatchKing loaded in MK262.  The terminal ballistic properties of the 77 grain Nosler bullet loaded to 5.56mm velocities rival that of the Hornady 75 grain 5.56mm TAP load.

Courtesy of Dr. G.K. Roberts

Courtesy of B&T Ammo Labs

The Nosler 77 grain Custom Competion bullet is typically sold without a cannelure, however Nosler occasionally releases the bullet with a shallow cannelure similar to the one found on the 77 grain SMK loaded in MK262.  The cannelured version of the 77 grain Nosler will be the focus of this report.

For the first phase of testing, I hand-loaded the cannelured version of the 77 grain Nosler BTHP to a typical SAAMI velocity (approximately 2600 fps from a 20” Colt barrel) to establish an accuracy baseline.  No case mouth crimp was applied at this phase.  As per my usual protocol, accuracy testing was conducted from a concrete benchrest at a distance of 100 yards.  The forend of my Krieger barreled AR-15 rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rode in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag.  A Leupold Competition Scope was used for sighting.  Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe.  

Three 10-shot groups were obtained which had extreme spreads of:

0.797”
0.827”
0.812”

for a 10-shot group average of 0.812”.  The three groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The composite group had a mean radius of 0.26”.  This test shows that the Nosler bullet itself is capable of consistent sub-MOA accuracy at 100 yards when fired from a semi-automatic AR-15.

For the second phase of testing, I safely worked up a load for the 77 grain Nosler BTHP to a nominal muzzle velocity of 2800 fps from a 20” barrel using a non-canister grade military powder. (In previous testing, I found that the average muzzle velocity from seven different lots of Hornady 5.56 TAP was 2808 fps from a 20” barrel.)  No case mouth crimp was used in this phase of testing either.

Since my Krieger barreled AR-15 has a 5.56mm Match chamber that is “a little too tight” for mil-spec pressure loads, I used my AR-15 with a 20” Noveske DCM barrel for this phase of testing.  This Noveske barrel has the “Noveske Match Mod 0 chamber which is designed to offer 100% reliability while retaining maximum possible accuracy. The chamber body is slightly larger than the 5.56mm NATO minimum, but within the 5.56 NATO tolerance. The throat is redesigned for proper bullet alignment with the axis of the bore. This chamber was developed to fire MK262 Mod 1 on AUTO in hot environments."

Accuracy testing using the Noveske barreled AR-15 and Nosler 77 grain BTHP at a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps was conducted in the same manner as described above in the first phase of testing.  Three 10-shot groups were obtained from 100 yards.  Those groups had extreme spreads of:

0.880”
0.857”
0.845”

for a 10-shot group average of 0.860”.  These groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group which had a mean radius of 0.29”.

For the final phase of testing I added a taper crimp to the case mouth of the previously described load used in phase two.  A 10-shot string of this load fired over the Oehler 35-P chronograph from my 20” Novekse barrel had a muzzle velocity of 2801 fps with a standard deviation of 12 fps.

Three 10-shot groups fired from 100 yards from the 20” Noveske DCM barrel had extreme spreads of:

1.033”
0.914”
1.241”

for a 10-shot group average of 1.063”.  As before, the three groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius for the composite group was 0.31”.

….

The Factory Load

Nosler's 223 Remington 77 grain Custom Competition factory loaded ammunition uses the cannelured verison of the bullet.  When chronographed from a 20" Colt barrel, this load had a muzzle velocity of 2612 fps with a standard deviation of 19 fps.

A 10-shot group fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15 had an extreme spread of 0.98” and a mean radius of 0.31”.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I've shot this round quite a bit and love it.  Very very accurate and I've read great things about it's performance in gel.  Also fairly reasonably priced, I've picked some up for around $17/20.

Thanks again for the great info!
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing your findings. Along with the new "Tipped" matchking these are my favorite bullets for my AR-15's. The Nosler 77 gr OTMs shoot well from all the barrels I own and have been easy to work with. I shot this group below with one of the two Spikes CHF optimum profile barrels that I own, would have been a really nice group if I didn't pull on one.

And again thank you for your contributions to this site!

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dirtymoe21:
Thanks for sharing your findings. Along with the new "Tipped" matchking these are my favorite bullets for my AR-15's. The Nosler 77 gr OTMs shoot well from all the barrels I own and have been easy to work with. I shot this group below with one of the two Spikes CHF optimum profile barrels that I own, would have been a really nice group if I didn't pull on one.

<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/DirtyMoe21/media/CHF.Nosler77_zpsy469ibss.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz182/DirtyMoe21/CHF.Nosler77_zpsy469ibss.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NIevo:

Thanks again for the great info!

View Quote

De rien.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]

<a href="http://s826.photobucket.com/user/DirtyMoe21/media/CHF.Nosler77_zpsy469ibss.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz182/DirtyMoe21/CHF.Nosler77_zpsy469ibss.jpg</a>
View Quote

How did the Tipped MatchKings do from the same barrel?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Molon:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Optimum Profile Barrel Test

Groups 1,2,3,6 and 9 were all 77gr Tipped Matchking Loads. Best two groups were right over 1 MOA for 10 shots.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Molon.  By coincidence after I thanked you yesterday I happened to go into my reloading set up and load 100 Nosler 77grain w/cannelure, Lapua brass and Varget.  I've put the results on the reloading forum in the past and will do so again.  I'll just say my results using an Arms Tech Gas Trap with 14.5 barrel and US Optics SN-3 scope are similar to yours.  
I was able to get four 500 bullet boxes from Nosler a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Bullets with J4s driven at military pressures and velocities through barrels with rough throats can fly apart where the rifling lands engrave into the jackets.

Spotters and coaches could often see a grey "Poof" cloud somewhere between 75 and 150 yards from the muzzle of ARs and M16s at Camp Perry.  Shooters would get scored a "Miss."
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Sinister, interesting.  I can just picture returning fire and having the bullet 'poof' before it reaches target.  I'm sure that some of the folks from third world religious groups would see an act of their deity..
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Groups 1,2,3,6 and 9 were all 77gr Tipped Matchking Loads. Best two groups were right over 1 MOA for 10 shots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nice.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top