Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2015 1:14:15 PM EDT
Here is the subsonic version:

200 gr subsonic REAPR fired from 8" 1:7" AR into calibrated 10% ordnance gelatin, with and without four layers of denim.

BB calibration: 597.3 fps, 3.6"

The sun was not co-operating so impact velocity was not recorded on either shot.

Here is some discussion on the development of this ammo: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_9/682367_REAPR_Ammo.html

Both ammunition and the upper can be purchased here:
https://store.ar15.com/

Big thank you to Ed Avila for providing the upper and ammunition for testing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the projectile that was used with Denim not open at all?
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It was not recovered, but I don't believe so. It passed though 14" of gelatin and six water jugs and was still trucking.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
So my target has to be naked for it to work?
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's hunting ammo; do you normally shoot jean-wearing hogs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jay Leno hogs.

I'm starting to second guess my decision to use denim. I thought it would be interesting, but mostly just academic. Not much point to subsonic defense ammo, I was just curious how it would do. It's unfortunate that many people are interpreting this to mean the ammo isn't any good at its real purpose. It obviously dues exactly as designed when used within its design limits.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Since several of the the run-ins I have had with bad actors have occurred while hunting, it is a very good idea to know how your hunting ammo will perform if pressed into a SD/HD role. The last (2) trespassers I dealt with were attempting to hide contraband on our property within sight of my tree stand right at dark. The driver remained seated behind the wheel. So for the first time in my 60+ years, I was faced with the real possibility of having to shoot thru auto glass with an AR15/M16. It got interesting when I ordered the guy in the bushes to come out with his hands in plain sight. He came out aggressively wanting to fight. And he was dressed in denim head to toe, much like a biker. After dark, on my property, I don't play games. They danced to the tune I played so no shots fired which was just fine by me. Keep the tests coming.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the 125 gr supersonic version:

https://youtu.be/KXoTUk1-r1w
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Even so - a hog has thick bristles that could impede performance the same way as 4LD. I'd like to find out more.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even so - a hog has thick bristles that could impede performance the same way as 4LD. I'd like to find out more.

II was thinking the same thing. A hogs hide is very dense and I would dare to say about as tough as denim. I could be wrong though.

I'm still going to get some of this to test out on the hogs around here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#10]
So far, the results have been good. Some folks have posted video and photos of their hunts using this ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top