Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2014 4:58:51 PM EDT
I have a Stag-15 5.56 and want to be as accurate as I can get with it. I've heard that .223 actually shoots more accurately than 5.56 but I don't know enough about it to know if that is BS or not.

I've had a tough time find any 5.56 hollow point or soft point locally (Austin), so if I gave up and went with some .223 Match stuff, would I  be giving anything up as far as accuracy?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not.  I reload, and only reload to .223 specs.  Try different rounds and see what the gun likes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, great to know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Many gun fans like to make the difference out to be a big deal to show how smart they are.   Treat them as the exact same thing.  Buy different loads based on the bullet itself.  I shoot Black Hills match when I want to be most accurate.    Yes, it is possible to work up a more accurate round reloading for your gun.  But I for one do not have the patience for that super tedious job, just to get an improvement that you can only tell with a ruler.   Furthermore you have a Stag.  It is an average chrome lined barrel.  You are the weakest link, your barrel second, so don't get too hung up on ammo.  Just buy some and shot it
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Good .223 is more accurate in any combo from any of my guns vs 5.56. Not because 5.56 is a bad cartridge, but because it is cheaper to load .223 and easier to load it to match loads. 5.56 is hotter and which is better for expansion threshold and cavity, but I find that slower is more accurate and easier to control. Since I started reloading, the concept of slower is more accurate has been reinforced. Not a lot slower, but just slower.

Home rolled or .223 from Fiocchi, Hornady, Black Hills, etc are all good.

Edit: cckw is right. Don't try to micro analyze, just buy a few boxes of different weight and type of loads to try. Your gun will tell you what it likes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Feels like a silly question now, but there's a lot I don't know yet. I really do appreciate it.

Question about the barrel however, is it still the weak link (besides me) if it has the 20" stainless bull barrel?

Thanks y'all.
:)
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Stag-15 5.56 and want to be as accurate as I can get with it. I've heard that .223 actually shoots more accurately than 5.56 but I don't know enough about it to know if that is BS or not.

I've had a tough time find any 5.56 hollow point or soft point locally (Austin), so if I gave up and went with some .223 Match stuff, would I  be giving anything up as far as accuracy?

Thanks for any help.
View Quote

There are no 5.56 loads in HP or SP locally. .223 match ammo will almost always be better than commercial 5.56

If you're going to Eagle Peak and only get HP/SP since that's all they allow, go to a different range.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Just went to Academy and picked up some Hornady Match .223 75 gr. BTHP and some American Eagle .223 55 gr. Varmint tip to go with the SSA 5.56 64 gr. soft point I picked up yesterday at Cabela's. I wish I had more ammo to take, but getting close my two's and few's so I can't really afford to get any more.

Looking for a new range as we speak. :)
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for any help.
View Quote

The reason .223 is more accurrate because most 5.56 ammo is loaded as hot as possible and uses "sub par" projectiles that are not really capable of being very accurrate.

But 5.56 ammo like MK262, Tap 5.56, etc can be plenty accurrate
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I'll keep those in mind as well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just went to Academy and picked up some Hornady Match .223 75 gr. BTHP and some American Eagle .223 55 gr. Varmint tip to go with the SSA 5.56 64 gr. soft point I picked up yesterday at Cabela's. I wish I had more ammo to take, but getting close my two's and few's so I can't really afford to get any more.

Looking for a new range as we speak. :)
View Quote

Best of the West in Liberty Hill for the win!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, going out there soon to check it out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Eagle Peak will let you shoot the BTHP match ammo.

Unfortunately they won't let you shoot prone, only allow sitting at a bench.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Feels like a silly question now, but there's a lot I don't know yet. I really do appreciate it.

Question about the barrel however, is it still the weak link (besides me) if it has the 20" stainless bull barrel?

Thanks y'all.
:)
View Quote

OP... I haven't shot awith a Stag barrel, but in my experience the stainless barrels all shoot very well (I have three from various manufacturers). It's not that stainless has any magical properties... it's just that it is a premium product so they put a bit more care into the production.

That said, I agree with the other posts.. buy a few different loads and see what shoots best in your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for that HS2. :)
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you looked at the stickied faqs? There's an item about twist rate and bullet weight and how they're matched. That should help you in your quest. The 75g rounds you bought may or may not stabilize in your Stag.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top