Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2014 11:08:46 PM EDT
..told him that he would get the best accuracy out of his 18 inch stainless barrel 1x8 with Federal 62 grain.

The only 62 gr I know of is M855.
Now I know I'm just an armchair cowboy and all but but but!!!
REALLY!?

Is there another 62 grain Federal round?  

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Fusion is 62 gr
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I just cain't imagine someone recommending M855 over any other round as far as accuracy is concerned.

I just know my bud is gonna be stockpiling 62 gr M855 because it is readily available.  And he is gonna think it is the most accurate choice because it's 62 gr.  I know he won't pay Fusion  62 gr prices.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:28:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just cain't imagine someone recommending M855 over any other round as far as accuracy is concerned.

I just know my bud is gonna be stockpiling 62 gr M855 because it is readily available.  And he is gonna think it is the most accurate choice because it's 62 gr.  I know he won't pay Fusion  62 gr prices.
View Quote
Do you have any reason to believe military ammo is not accurate?

Do you have any reason to believe a guy at a gunstore?

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:14:04 AM EDT
[#4]
62gr Remington Premiere Match is another. There are a FEW more.

Maybe he was speaking in general terms. 1:8 does very well with bullets in the low 60 grain range. Mine does.

M855 shoots very good out of my 18" 1:8, for mil surplus. Usually around 1.5 MOA, but occasionally get sub MOA. Not great, but ok for surplus.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I would imagine gold medal match would do better than the 62gr but if he won't pay fusion price then he certainly won't like FGMM.

What he needs to do is go shoot it and see what it likes. There is no magic answer every barrel is different.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#6]
The guy at Black Rain doesnt know what he is talking about. There is no possible way a blanket statement like that can possibly be true.

A better way to say it: "ive had great luck w/ xyz bullet in my xx gun, i think you should try it too"

No two guns are ever identical period
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a 62gr Barnes TSX bullet as well I believe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd take advantage of that twist and run 69-77gr pills.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
..told him that he would get the best accuracy out of his 18 inch stainless barrel 1x8 with Federal 62 grain.

REALLY!?

View Quote

Your buddy needs to learn more about shooting by shooting more. He should buy a box each of a number of different available rounds and actually shoot them to see which ones his gun works best with. If he really wants to do something he should learn about reloading and work up a bunch of different loads and shoot them and see which of those work best in his gun. Or he could just accept the word of some schmoe at a gunshop and blindly believe that's as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

REALLY!?

View Quote

There is also this Federal .223 62 gr. load out there: http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-223-ammo-223rem62grfmjbtae223nfedae-20
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

REALLY!?

View Quote

Federal LE comes in 62 gr

Known to be good on auto glass.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Strange because in my Stainles 1:8 i get the best using 75grainers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Federal loads 62 gr fusion bullet, 62 gr fmj, Xm855, 62gr mk318, and 62 gr tbbc.  So that's 6 62gr loads Federal sells.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/LE223T3_Box.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

REALLY!?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/LE223T3_Box.jpg

If the op's friend doesn't like the price of Fusion, TBBCs might make him crap his pants.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#15]
M855 is not going to preform like hand loads, but that said, I have a case of Pmc xtac and it doesn't do bad. Right around 1.5" through a colt 6940 with a 4x Acog. My hand loads are about 1/2 that with the same rifle. but for $8 a box I think it's doing all it should.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

THE INTERNETZ SAID SO!

Actualy I read the M855 design is complex with the penetrator and difficult to manufacture consistently.  I figured good ol' 55 gr fmj ala M193 would be more accurate.

HECK NO!!  that's why I came here.  

I'm here for the free advice and discord.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE INTERNETZ SAID SO!

Actualy I read the M855 design is complex with the penetrator and difficult to manufacture consistently.  I figured good ol' 55 gr fmj ala M193 would be more accurate.

HECK NO!!  that's why I came here.  

I'm here for the free advice and discord.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Your buddy needs to learn more about shooting by shooting more. He should buy a box each of a number of different available rounds and actually shoot them to see which ones his gun works best with. If he really wants to do something he should learn about reloading and work up a bunch of different loads and shoot them and see which of those work best in his gun. Or he could just accept the word of some schmoe at a gunshop and blindly believe that's as good as it gets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

REALLY!?

Of course this is the standard advice but if he is a Black Rain kool-aid drinker and I'm a "know-it-all armchair cowboy" then he will have a garage full of M855 soon.  He already has a garage full of Federal 55 gr FMJ.  

IMO M193 is more accurate than M855.  And better for defense. It's not my money or my rifle I just wanna learn.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Buddy thinks y'all is CRAY!  HE THINKS SINCE BLACK RAIN MADE THE GUN THEY KNOW BEST.

Ah well I hate being being a know-it-all anyways.

To BRO's defense they could have meant bullets in that weight range.

POST NUMBER .308

I FINALLY QUIT BEING A BULLWINKLE I RECKON

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a bunch of Federal 62gr FMJ that came in the silver boxes in the mid 1990's. It is just a lead core 62gr.  Don't know if they still make it but I wonder if that is wht they were talking about.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Buddy thinks y'all is CRAY!  HE THINKS SINCE BLACK RAIN MADE THE GUN THEY KNOW BEST.

POST NUMBER .308

View Quote

They made the gun, they did not invent the laws of physics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

POST NUMBER .308

Yes.  That is solid logic.  

The guys who build racecars rarely drive them the fastest.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Federal loads 62 gr fusion bullet, 62 gr fmj, Xm855, 62gr mk318, and 62 gr tbbc.  So that's 6 62gr loads Federal sells.
View Quote

This. I have some of the 62 grain fmj . It is pretty decent shooting . I am going to use the rest in matches until I run out
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#24]
AE223N
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top