Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 11:27:37 AM EDT
I know yall are probably sick of Tulammo discussions, however I recently bought my first AR and I am worried about the ammo I shoot through it as I am at college and do not have the time, space, etc to maintain it as well as I would like. I bought 100 rd of tula .223 rem 55 gr FMJ steel case a while back when there was a sale at Academy.  I have currently only shot Federal 5.56 55 gr boat-tail throught my AR. It is a Stag Model 3, and with the extreme mixed reviews I have seen about Tula I want to be sure before I use it and something happens where I cant fix it while at college.  Any input would be much appreciated.

-Show respect to all people, but grovel to none-
-Tecumseh-
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

There's one study.

But, you're not gonna torture your rifle like that.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

And another article.

So, personally, I shoot the cheap tula stuff in all of mine.  I just remember not to shoot brass after steel.  If I start shooting steel, I continue to do that until I clean the barrel and chamber, or at least the chamber.

I'm not worried about the softer steel casings wearing out the really hard barrel, extractor, etc... That's why those parts are made out of really high quality steel.  I suppose if I was loading up every mag I owned with steel, firing and reloading as fast as I can, for hours, then maybe, it might make a difference.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Please read the FAQs.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top