Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2013 7:33:02 AM EDT
Buying 9mm and .40.

PPU or Herter's? Price is same. Both steel cased. No idea. Help me friends.

ETA: I'll go with Herter's Select Grade per this article
http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/herters-select-grade-ammo
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
i have never seen ppu in steel only reloadable brass.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Yugoslavia never made steel cased small arms ammo afaik.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Even if PPU made steel cased stuff (which they do not), the Herter's is actually made by Tula, which is enough for me to say "no thanks" to Herter's.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even if PPU made steel cased stuff (which they do not), the Herter's is actually made by Tula, which is enough for me to say "no thanks" to Herter's.
View Quote

The ammo in question was Herter's "select grade" which is brass. And as per the article linked above, it's made by Sellier & Bellot
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I wasn't aware that Cabellas was using the Herters name for anything but Tula-made steel-cased ammo.  

If it's S&B, that changes things a lot.  What I'd want to know about the Herters-labeled rounds would be their published velicity.  That's the only way to compare well-made ammunition: what are their specs?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If I were you, I wouldn't base my decision on such an article at all.

Get a sample of both and test, then decide what works for you.

Just between you and me, the article didn't even get the units copied correctly so I wouldn't say much about their ability to keep facts straight.

S&B and PPU are both decent manufacturers, so your answers will depend on the results of your specific tests and the conclusions you draw.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top