Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2013 12:27:34 AM EDT
I remember reading that switching between the two can cause problems, but I can't find the thread I was reading about that. Looked through ammo oracle and didn't find it. My search fu could be weak or I am blind. Please let me know the dangers, if any, of switching between 5.56 and .223.

Rifle: Windham Weaponry MPC, 5.56 marked bbl  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I vaguely remember something about switching between the two without cleaning. I don't think I'm making it up, but anything is possible...
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:08:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you mean switching between steel cased and brass cased ammunition... Steel cased ammunition leaves more powder residue in the chamber and switching to brass cases without cleaning can cause stuck cases. I experimented with this and found that after firing approximately 100 rounds of steel cased .223 when I switched to brass cased .223, the first 10 or so empty cases came out very dirty. Afterwards, the cases came out with the normal amount of powder residue on them. I did not have sticking issues, but I could see how in some rifles it might happen. I have read accounts of others that did experience stoppages related to this issue.

Switching between .223 and 5.56 should cause no issues.

1DD
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you mean switching between steel cased and brass cased ammunition... Steel cased ammunition leaves more powder residue in the chamber and switching to brass cases without cleaning can cause stuck cases. I experimented with this and found that after firing approximately 100 rounds of steel cased .223 when I switched to brass cased .223, the first 10 or so empty cases came out very dirty. Afterwards, the cases came out with the normal amount of powder residue on them. I did not have sticking issues, but I could see how in some rifles it might happen. I have read accounts of others that did experience stoppages related to this issue.

1DD
View Quote
Here is the answer.

End thread
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
No issues. Just shoot it. Clean when needed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:33:34 AM EDT
[#6]
No issues unless you have a barrel rated only for .223 then you should never use 5.56.
(I know this is common knowledge but wanted to post it in case a new shooter reads this
thread)
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:02:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No issues unless you have a barrel rated only for .223 then you should never use 5.56.

(I know this is common knowledge but wanted to post it in case a new shooter reads this

thread)
View Quote

Right.  OP's barrel is marked 5.56, so he has no worries.  Moral of the story - check your barrel.  If it's 5.56 (or Wylde) you can use either.  If it's marked .223, do not use 5.56 ammo.  I would think that very few AR-15's are chambered in .223 these days.  Bolt guns are a whole other story, as many of them are indeed chambered in .223.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:29:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I vaguely remember something about switching between the two without cleaning. I don't think I'm making it up, but anything is possible...
View Quote
that was brass and steel from the box o truth fame

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I remember reading that switching between the two can cause problems, but I can't find the thread I was reading about that. Looked through ammo oracle and didn't find it. My search fu could be weak or I am blind. Please let me know the dangers, if any, of switching between 5.56 and .223.

Rifle: Windham Weaponry MPC, 5.56 marked bbl  
View Quote

Not sure if you mean mixing them in the same magazine. However, a gun marked 5.56 should fire both .223 and 5.56. Don't read the marking on the receiver, instead read the markings on the barrel to ensure it's marked 5.56.

Now what is dangerous is when you shoot a 5.56 out of a barrel marked for .223. There's a chance that it can overpressure and cause damage, possibly injuring/killing you or others. However, Windham Weaponry is what is formally Bushmaster Windham factory. With that in mind, every Bushmaster I know that was made in Windham was fitted for 5.56. Since they're using the same factory/machines as they did in the past, I'm sure it's the same deal.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I contacted the manufacturer of my AR and they stated that it's been tested with both .223 and 5.56 and that shooting both is fine.  I also recall a similar statement in the OM.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dangers?

I've never had any problems.
View Quote

+1 here.........
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

1DD
View Quote

This doesn't apply to the Zinc cases from the MDS ammo however as I've switched back and forth between those and brass and it just keeps blastin away.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

1DD
View Quote

I switch between steel case & brass & back again with zero problems.  Maybe some guns have a problem, I never encounter it with any of the ones I have had.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#14]
No issues.  I shoot steel, brass, 5.56 and 223 with no problems.   As others have pointed out, don't shoot 5.56 if the barrel is stamped for .223.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top