Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2012 12:37:02 PM EDT
I read a lot more than post, so I thought I should add something. I've been shooting American Eagle from Gander Mountain, only buying when it's on sale, but at $39.99/100 it's a bit pricey. I've been looking for something a bit cheaper, yet still reliable and fairly accurate. I read as much as possible, and was actually looking for Silver Bear, when I came across some Wolf PF at the local gun show. $110/500 sounded like a pretty good deal, and the vendor claims to use it himself without problems, but knowing that Wolf doesn't have the best reputation, I was hesitant. I just bought 3, $5 boxes of 20 to try. I got out to the range with a friend this Sunday. It was rainy and cold, but we shot anyways.
Every round went off, no fte, the casings settled in the same area, and the rounds all impacted in the same lower left quarter of the target. The gun didn't seem any dirtier after this session than any other.
So, I would buy Wolf again, for practice or plinking, but would spend a bit more if accuracy is a concern.
If it matters, My AR has a Spikes Tactical 16" upper, with a PSA lower.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
So far I have run a case through several AR's. Not a single FTF or FTE. Last outing I put about 180 rounds through my rifle. Shooting was done from the standing unsupported, so as far as accuracy all the shots went in a single square of printer paper from about 25m. I was mostly going for speed and to see how the ammo performed in a hot dirty rifle. All the rounds ejected to about my 5 O'Clock into one neat pile. Rifle did not seem overly dirty after the session. I was pleased with how it ran. The only prep I did before shooting was to generously apply CLP to the BCG. After shooting I cleaned the chamber to prevent stuck casings on the next trip. This is the ammo I have stockpiled for cheap range shooting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm new to this whole thing. I just finished my AR a few weeks ago, and have yet to shoot it due to little ranges around SW Ohio. But I purchased a few boxes of .223 Wolf 55gr FMJ, and I doubt it will have any problems. It' may be 'surplus' ammo, but it should work just fine for plinking and practicing, correct? Ammo is ammo for just practicing, right? And at .20 cents a shot.. I'll say it's a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm new to this whole thing. I just finished my AR a few weeks ago, and have yet to shoot it due to little ranges around SW Ohio. But I purchased a few boxes of .223 Wolf 55gr FMJ, and I doubt it will have any problems. It' may be 'surplus' ammo, but it should work just fine for plinking and practicing, correct? Ammo is ammo for just practicing, right? And at .20 cents a shot.. I'll say it's a good deal.

It's not surplus ammo, it's new production ammo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I apologize for the confusion. I did not know that. I actually feel safer now, about shooting it :) I've heard people call it 'Zombie Ammo' or 'SHTF ammo'. But I have no doubts it will serve it's purpose at the range. Glad the OP found that it works. I'll have to pick up some of this PolyFormance ammo at AIM the next time they have it back in stock.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I apologize for the confusion. I did not know that. I actually feel safer now, about shooting it :) I've heard people call it 'Zombie Ammo' or 'SHTF ammo'. But I have no doubts it will serve it's purpose at the range. Glad the OP found that it works. I'll have to pick up some of this PolyFormance ammo at AIM the next time they have it back in stock.

There is  "Zombie ammo" http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax  Wolf isn't it..  The price is the best thing about it, and the Wolf  "military classic" is supposed to be a higher quality ammo.
Either way, it's a great ammo for practice without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
wolf is fine by me. at short ranges of 200yds or less which is what i've shot it at it was fine. you wouldn't walk away lets say. the bimetal case is softer or as sof as the brass cases according to some Gunsmiths I know. may need cleaning more regularly. as it is dirty stuff. some ranges don't like it b/c they have to sort it. just my opinion it has been fine. matter of fact the only fte i ever had was a brass case m855. never had an issue from wolf.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
deleted repeat post
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had trouble with the poly wolf not wanting to feed, sticking on the mag feed lips of my USGI and Pmags.  I would have to download to 20rds to get the 30 rounders to feed.  Brass in the same mags ran fine fully loaded 30rds.  Gonna try Silver Bear next, hoping the nickel case is slicker.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#9]
The Wolf WPA black box is new stock for what I understand.  I bought 500rnds and have shot abt 200 without a problem.  They may not be as hot as Military Classic, but they have been reliable for me.  I'd buy more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've had trouble with the poly wolf not wanting to feed, sticking on the mag feed lips of my USGI and Pmags.  I would have to download to 20rds to get the 30 rounders to feed.  Brass in the same mags ran fine fully loaded 30rds.  Gonna try Silver Bear next, hoping the nickel case is slicker.

Silver Bear is zinc plated steel. It does feel slicker than the poly coated steel though.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Somewhat common for Pmags, but not so much for USGIs.  How much have your USGI mags been used?  new springs may be in order.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 4:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Over 500 rounds of wolf military classic thru my stag so far, and only 1 FTF. it looked like a light primer strike or hard primer. Put it back in the mag, fired perfectly. I load to 30 with no issues on pmags .
Its good enough for me to get hits on 8in steel at 200m offhand on the regular, and  I hit every one off rest.
Back of my bolt gets a little crusty, but hoppes 9 or simple green gets it off. Chamber looks shiny after shooting.

Target sports usa had it for 120\case with free shipping, not sure if its still in stock or not.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#13]
some guns run it well some dont i have never had a problem.it just a little dirtier.

just make sure you clean your chamber good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#14]
My DPMS Classic 20" doesn't like Wolf. Maybe my chamber is tighter than normal (DPMS chambers have a reputation for tight barrel specs), but I will experience numerous FTEs and FTXs after about 2 mags worth of the Wolf Polycoat. About half way through my first 1k case of Wolf, my extractor broke. Only about a half of it was left, and I needed to use a cleaning rod to push the spent case out of the chamber; it was really stuck in there good.

Wolf ammo didn't go to waste, however. Shortly after the extractor issue on my AR-15, I bought a .223 Vepr (AK-74 knockoff from Robinson Arms) and it went right through the Wolf steel ammo without an issue (why not. Russian - design gun and Russian ammo). I went back to shooting all brass ammo in my AR-15, and everyone is happy. BTW, I have found my DPMS operates better with military grade ammo (XM-193 and XM-855). Again, I suspect my DPMS has tight specs and the additional ooomph from the mil-grade ammo helps it to cycle better.

As someone has already said, some guns like it, some don't.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Tried 200 rds of WPA 62GR FMJ  through my 14.5 carbine yesterday. Trouble free. Only problem was the last few rds were hard to load into magazine. Shot 3 ten rd groups at 100 yds. 2 1/2, 3 and 3 1/4 MOA. I'll be buying more of it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I have no problem with Wolf Ammo. I will be buying more.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I hadn't used Wolf for a long time, preferring Silver Bear.  However, in today's ammo market, I look for price and availability since I buy in 1K lots.  Got some new (2012) Wolf WPA to try.  It looks pretty good and i expect it will shoot fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Wolf WPA black box is new stock for what I understand.  I bought 500rnds and have shot abt 200 without a problem.  They may not be as hot as Military Classic, but they have been reliable for me.  I'd buy more.

I've fired 1,500 rounds of Wolf WPA now with no problems at all. Much better than Tula or the old wolf ammo
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow , I opened this thread expecting to find Wolf ammo flamers. What a pleasant surprise to find guys who have had similar experiences with Wolf as I have. I have been shooting the local 3 gun matches here for a couple of years now and been using only wolf ammo in my ARs and I have never had an ammo failure. I've put about 3k thru two different ARs at this point, one is a RRA Entry Tactical the other is a Tactical Machining receiver with DPMS pencil barrel upper and LPK. Both gun just gobble the stuff up. Accuracy is the weak link with this ammo ,but only a few times has it cost me points,  it is constant enough though to keep me in the top end of the competition ,winning occasionally.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:44:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm thinking of picking up some of this.  How would you guys rate the Wolf line, in order of preference?  There are several flavors just wondering which I should try.  I'm also going to pick up an extra extractor and firing pin, just in case.  (Should've have those already though...  )
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#21]
many cases without any issues. Yet to have a bad round. There is no noticeable wear on the bolt. Just a little dirtier.
If your rifle won't digest wolf, I would have a serious issue using it for shtf.

That's my opinion
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top