Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2011 8:08:48 AM EDT
I've been trying to build up a supply of 5.56 by taking advantage of a few sales that I have seen. I just bought 10 boxes from Midway that were advertised as overuns on an FBI contract - 62gr spire point, looks like a hollow point but with a very sharp nose. I have noticed that almost every round that I have looked at has 1 to 3-4 small dents in the case - no sharp creases or anything...just what you might expect a case would look like if tossed around in a bucket with other ammo banging into it. Obviously it wouldn't  be something I would want to shoot of a dent had been made in such a way that the bottom was "creased" from the impact that caused the dent but what about the rough handling dents? Would this type of dent be considered strictly cosmetic? I ask becuse I do not like the idea of a case rupture caused by a weakened are on the case caused by the rough handling.

How would one determine if such a case is safe to fire by the casual shooter who doesn't have years of experience and thousands of rounds through his firearms? Might there be a web page that addresses this subject, hopefully with a few go/no go pictures?

I know this is a pretty basic question but I believe there might be more to the question than meets the eye and I'd like to take advantage of some of the larger bulk packed sales where I just know I'd run into the same thing.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

http://http://dc436.4shared.com/img/xmFhrum2/dents.jpg" />
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Pictures would help alot

If the shoulder is dented that would worry me, but if it just has small dents in the case body I would shoot it.
Again Pictures would help us here to see the severity of the dents

Edit: after seeing the pics, I would shoot it
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot way worse, shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+100

Shoot them!
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
It is this: " Would this type of dent be considered strictly cosmetic............." and so shoot it.
In other words and if it helps, what I look for is:
If the dents are so severe that the cartridge would have trouble chambering- don't shoot it.
That includes especially the neck and bullet- dented or canted off to one side- don't.
If somehow (I've never seen this) the primer or the base is mangled- don't.

If the dents are minor like the ones you have and don't effect the over all "shape" of the cartridge–– Shoot them!
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
looks gtg
looks like regular military ammo to me
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I would shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Shoot it and the dents will magically disappear.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to all who responded...I'm more comfortable about shooting it now
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top