Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2011 2:41:21 PM EDT
and not the rejected/not to mill spec stuff? Im confused because if it is full millspec, it wouldnt be sold to civilians but the US Govmt right? So how the heck does a civilian but "the real thing" ? Is it a case of you used to be able to, but not anymore?

Reason I ask is that I read posters saying they have stashes of "the real LC stuff" but everything being sold is said to be not to millspec for whatever that means. Curious minds NEED to know.

TIA
Tall
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
i dunno what i just bought haha its xm855lc1 ac1 on stripper clips in a 420rnd ammo can with metal us tag. has nato cross and lc stamp. if anyone has comment on this from CTD. it was 138? i believe. everything i could find says its not reject ammo just ovverrun and does not carry the not for duty use tag.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep hearing conflicting info on the LC stuff, especially when it comes to the M855 marked "Not For Duty Use" and the same cans that dont have those markings.

But People say that IMI and Privi and even PMC X-TAC (South Korean) is genuine military ammo, because the rules dont apply to ammo from other countries.

I would buy whats cheapest, its all GTG imo

Edit: A rep from SGAmmo has said that the new 420 round cans of M855 on stripper clips that is NOT marked "Not For Duty Use", is just so Federal could get out of pricing contracts, so they changed the designation and removed the not for duty use marking.

But places like Palmetto are stating that it has passed all Government quality control is is not reject ammo like the cans that are marked (not sure how they can sell it to the commercial market though????)

So there is conflicting information all the time, I dont think anyone knows, or can get a straight answer from federal
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What I think I understand is that you cannot get the level 1 grade A performance tested stuff from LC becuase they only sell to US Govmt. Just read a post where that same SGAmmo guy write the same thing––only Uncle Same gets the grade A stuff. Soooo, I think that answers my LC question. We civi's just cant get it.

I just bought SGAmmo's 420 round can, great price and shipping, shipped same day too. I am now interested in knowing more about IMI...keep reading that it is better than the stuff WE can get from Lace City/Federal. Anyone know if this is more true than not?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive been buying it because of the price and the reviews.

Its hard to tell a difference, alot of people claim better accuracy from IMI, I havnt seen chrono data from this 09 IMI so I dont know if its hotter.

Its at worst just as good as LC, and possibly better. And its cheaper, so its a no brainer for me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Its hard to tell a difference, alot of people claim better accuracy from IMI, I havnt seen chrono data from this 09 IMI so I dont know if its hotter.

Its at worst just as good as LC, and possibly better. And its cheaper, so its a no brainer for me.

Gotcha. I bought before checking in here like a dufuss. The Weidners IMI at $.288 per round does sound pretty good. Happy plinking everybody.

Tall
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 1:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]
BX, NEX or MCX
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#7]
My past experience with Israeli produced ammo suggests the IMI M855 is as good as we can get.
However weapons can be picky about which ammo they like.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BX, NEX or MCX

Unfortunately, not all BXs even offer anything to do with firearms.  I currently don't have access to a NEX or MCX, but not all AAFES locations offer ammunition (and very few locations offer guns).

I got a 420 round can of M855 from Academy Sports not long ago, and it is "the real deal."  Other places have the same product for less.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
and not the rejected/not to mill spec stuff? Im confused because if it is full millspec, it wouldnt be sold to civilians but the US Govmt right? So how the heck does a civilian but "the real thing" ? Is it a case of you used to be able to, but not anymore?

Reason I ask is that I read posters saying they have stashes of "the real LC stuff" but everything being sold is said to be not to millspec for whatever that means. Curious minds NEED to know.

TIA
Tall

More importantly... why bother?  M855 is mediocre stuff for defensive use, and the XM855 is fine for practice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BX, NEX or MCX

Unfortunately, not all BXs even offer anything to do with firearms.  I currently don't have access to a NEX or MCX, but not all AAFES locations offer ammunition (and very few locations offer guns).

I got a 420 round can of M855 from Academy Sports not long ago, and it is "the real deal."  Other places have the same product for less.

NAS Fort Worth JRB just opened the counter of a new gun and ammo section in the "outdoor" section that is attached to the Commisary.  I'll have to see if they sell the non-reject M855.  I know I used to be able to get 30 round mags USGI mags at the clothing store when I was stationed in North Carolina for 9.50 a pop.

Link Posted: 10/15/2011 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
With two shooting (ish) wars, plus the peace keeping and assistance operations going on around the world, along with the amount of rounds going downrange for training, why would there be anything but rejected US made M855 available?  When I've gone to the range and the ammo we drew was labeled, "For training use only."    Even if the M855A1 is being ordered, there is still a huge amount of M855 needed for just training.

Just because it says for training use only doesnt mean its inferior to the stuff not marked training use. Chances are the military wanted so many marked for training use only so they could easily track and alot rounds for training and downrange use and so there wouldnt be confusion onwhere it went. Who knows the reason but speculating that for "training use only " means subpar ammo is wrong.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#14]
A few years ago I read an article that said just the Army by itself was shooting the equivlant of the entire LC Production capacity just in training every year (at that time somewhere around 1 billion rounds).  That was back when we were ordering RADWAY and other NATO spec ammo to make up the shortfall.  IIRC we've brought more manufacturing capacity back online so were back to making all of our own.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#16]
The Winchester Ranger M855 for law enforcement. It appears to be first rate production and not rejects.

For the price though, I would stick with Prvi, IMI, or PMC X-Tac.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA
Tall

More importantly... why bother?  M855 is mediocre stuff for defensive use, and the XM855 is fine for practice.

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Here's your Chrono Data:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/519740_Attack_of_the__M193__Clones__Part_Two___M855_Comparison_.html
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's your Chrono Data:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/519740_Attack_of_the__M193__Clones__Part_Two___M855_Comparison_.html

Thanks, for some reason I thought all of those tests were of earlier IMI
I see the IMI 193 and M855 tests are 09' headstamp

Edit: I was looking at this thread where he never updated with velocity for the 09', but your link does show it
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/500730_.html&page=1%EF%BF%BD
The IMI in the M193 thread is all 09 headstamp also, and shows above average accuracy and average velocity
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I use to work at lake city... there is no millspec vs civilian.  ... the stuff that gets rejected is due to quality control... IE if 10 crates of ammo is randomly checked and say their threshold for finding bad ammo is .3% and they find 4 rounds out of 1000 they reject the lot.  the lot then goes back and gets resorted and sold civilian.  

To be honest I always thought the "civilian" stuff was actually better because it had gone through the process twice.

I don't know what the thresholds are and this obviously isn't the exact process they go through, it is much more rigorous, but trust me you aren't gaining anything looking for 'milspec'. 855 is 855 is 855 if its from LC.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry if this is off track, but it is LC related;

littlecricker or anyone else that might know,

Does LC still produce M193 at its facility or is it strictly M855/855a1 now?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use to work at lake city... there is no millspec vs civilian.  ... the stuff that gets rejected is due to quality control... IE if 10 crates of ammo is randomly checked and say their threshold for finding bad ammo is .3% and they find 4 rounds out of 1000 they reject the lot.  the lot then goes back and gets resorted and sold civilian.  

To be honest I always thought the "civilian" stuff was actually better because it had gone through the process twice.

I don't know what the thresholds are and this obviously isn't the exact process they go through, it is much more rigorous, but trust me you aren't gaining anything looking for 'milspec'. 855 is 855 is 855 if its from LC.

THIS. Thanks for hitting what I was going to say; rejections can be for many things. Water resistance, accuracy, speed, energy, on and on and on.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I figured that we are seeing M855 available now because services are switching over to the new 855a1, GREEN bullet.  Yea, they got the lead out!

The new stuff supposedly has much better penetration and higher velocity.  I wonder how it will do at a distance though.  I suppose a bunch of volunteers are finding out right now.  

Have FUN!
O'
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top