Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2011 5:09:20 PM EDT
My son turned 10 years old today and he wanted to go shooting.    I took the opportunity to take some of my other guns out (besides his Savage single shot .22 and my 10/22) and I had 6 rounds of USGI LC 11 headstamp M855 to run over the chrony.  I put the chrony about 12-15 feet from the end of the rifle (20" Colt, 1/7 twist).  5 out of the 6 rounds registered at 3400 fps or faster, one registered 3399 fps.  Isn't 855 supposed to be around 3100 fps at 78 feet from the muzzle?  Granted, I was closer than that but it doesn't lose that much velocity in 60 feet does it?  Temperature was low 70's.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Something is wrong. M193 doesn't even do that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Your chrony was probably too close. As I understand it, if it's not far enough out the plumes of gas at the muzzle can cause phantom high results.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Your chrony was probably too close. As I understand it, if it's not far enough out the plumes of gas at the muzzle can cause phantom high results.

Really?  I didn't know that.  I'll have to check that next time I go out.  I sure hope that's all it was and it's not something wrong with my chrony.  Guess I'll have to check my reloads as well.  

Thanks for the info.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top