Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2011 1:58:37 PM EDT
Comes in a red box.  New production.  Appears to be made in Florence Montana

Brass case.  Lake City headstamp with NATO cross.

I've never seen it before, never shot it before, bought two 20rd boxes today.

I paid about $10/20 and can get more at a discounted price (I figure .30-.35/round) provided I pick up a half case or more.

Anybody shot any of this before and if so what are your thoughts?

ETA: crimped primer pocket too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I almost bought some, and probably still will eventually.  Most of the reviews I've seen on BVAC are good, although you'll get an occasional complaint of inconsistency.  At .50/round, you can get BH 75 gr reloads at Triad Tactical, and I bought some of them instead of the BVAC.  At .30/round they're probably a very good deal and you should share where you're getting them for that price.  I paid more than that for PRVI 75s.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I almost bought some, and probably still will eventually.  Most of the reviews I've seen on BVAC are good, although you'll get an occasional complaint of inconsistency.  At .50/round, you can get BH 75 gr reloads at Triad Tactical, and I bought some of them instead of the BVAC.  At .30/round they're probably a very good deal and you should share where you're getting them for that price.  I paid more than that for PRVI 75s.

BH reloads are why I almost put them down myself, but this was in a brick and mortar store and they didn't have those available.

The store owner, his manager, and I are good friends so I don't know if the bulk price would be general public available.  

I hope to get to the range this weekend and try these out.  If they're decent, I'll see what kind of deal I can get.  For replying to the thread with facts, I can IM you about shipping some to your address (you pay shipping and your portion of the ammo costs of course).

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, not facts so much as just what I've read, but your welcome.  Unfortunately I just don't get to shoot often enough to share much real-world results, so I have to do a lot of reading when deciding what to buy.  Cheaper than Dirt has a decent selection of BVAC ammo, and they have some user reviews that you can check out.  For my money, if it's close to PRVI I'd rather buy from someone making ammo here in the US.

They have a 64gr bonded (fusion bullet, I think) that's a steal if you hunt or want decent barrier penetration.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, not facts so much as just what I've read, but your welcome.  Unfortunately I just don't get to shoot often enough to share much real-world results, so I have to do a lot of reading when deciding what to buy.  Cheaper than Dirt has a decent selection of BVAC ammo, and they have some user reviews that you can check out.  For my money, if it's close to PRVI I'd rather buy from someone making ammo here in the US.

They have a 64gr bonded (fusion bullet, I think) that's a steal if you hunt or want decent barrier penetration.

Exactly...

I don't have a chrono unfortunately.  Bitterroot advertises the ammo at 2600fps.  I'm hoping to get in touch with a buddy who's got one so we can determine real world results.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly...

I don't have a chrono unfortunately.  Bitterroot advertises the ammo at 2600fps.  I'm hoping to get in touch with a buddy who's got one so we can determine real world results.

Really?  The only 75gr on their website claims 2750.  I don't care much one way or the other, but I wonder why the box is different.

They have a ballistics table at their website.  Very helpful.
http://www.bvac-ammo.com/BV5.56-17TN.pdf
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly...

Really?  The only 75gr on their website claims 2750.  I don't care much one way or the other, but I wonder why the box is different.

could be different barrel lengths
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Do any of you guys know exactly what type of bullet these are loaded with?  Does it have a cannelure?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do any of you guys know exactly what type of bullet these are loaded with?  Does it have a cannelure?

I bet hornady 75gr BTHP
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet hornady 75gr BTHP

Hornady per BVAC's website, but I don't know which one.  Doesn't Hornady make a couple of different 75s?  T1, T2, cannelure, crimped, sealed, scattered smothered & covered?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet hornady 75gr BTHP

Hornady per BVAC's website, but I don't know which one.  Doesn't Hornady make a couple of different 75s?  T1, T2, cannelure, crimped, sealed, scattered smothered & covered?

There is a cannelure and the case neck is crimped.  

The round is their "tactical" version (God, I hate even typing the word these days).
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a cannelure and the case neck is crimped.  

The round is their "tactical" version (God, I hate even typing the word these days).

But is it tactical brass?  I want tactical brass.  And powder; has to be tactical powder.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Kind of reminds me of a Different company who made a copy of 5.56mm 75gr TAP a few years back.
I think its was called hunting shack?? or HMS
Maybe they made a name change??
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kind of reminds me of a Different company who made a copy of 5.56mm 75gr TAP a few years back.

Hunting Shack or HSM, still exists. IIRC, someone used to manage or work at one of them, can't remember which, and decided to go their own way and start their own company. Can't remember which company was first. Apparently this is why their product lines are similar.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hunting Shack or HSM, still exists. IIRC, someone used to manage or work at one of them, can't remember which, and decided to go their own way and start their own company. Can't remember which company was first. Apparently this is why their product lines are similar.

Got ya
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#16]
[/quote]

I see someone is familiar with Waffle House!  

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly...

could be different barrel lengths

It probably is. In an 18" my 75gr handloads are going 2600fps and its a pretty light load.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#18]
HSM was first, some employees left to form BVAC.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
According to their website.  The former plant manager at HSM left to form BVAC.

The 75 grain tactical is new, loaded into 5.56 brass, and loaded to 5.56 pressure.  Hence the new brass.  I've shot a couple hundred rounds and haven't any problems.  My 20" seems to like it.

Well, but the time I could get away to go to the range, the sun was pretty much gone.

Too dark to do any accuracy work.  I did fire 10 rounds of the stuff and I had no function problems.  The ammo felt as though it had some oomph.

Have you done any accuracy testing or (even better) velocity measuring with this stuff?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I ran across some 69gr of the same brand. Anyone have thoughts on that load?
I dont wanna walk on this thread...but it is kinda the same...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top