Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 6:10:39 AM EDT
im kind of new to the ar world and i just wanted to know if the twist in your barrel should determin what kind of ammo you should shoot like will above a certain grain not function of ruin the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You can shoot any bullet weight however, the accuracy may vary.

1:9 will tend to shoot lighter bullets (<62gr) more accurately than heavier bullets, although there is no wieght at at which accuracy suddenly changes...it varies from rifle to rifle.

I can't post pix, or I'd post THE pic...someone will shortly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Test the ammo in your rifle.  Shoot as heavy a bullet as you can with acceptable accuracy.  But you have to put in the trigger time and shell out the money for all the ammo.  No one can tell you what is "best" for your rifle.  Shoot and see.  Most 1:9 twist barrels will do OK with 75gr bullets, but 77gr will often start to key-hole.  If neither stabilize or have acceptable accuracy, then look at the 68-69gr offerings.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Please read the FAQ's up above and feel free to post any follow-up questions.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top