Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#1]

First in an O_P thread!

Did he give you a time frame?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Any idea if reduced recoil #1 buck (not made by anyone to my knowledge) would still meet the 12" penetration minimum?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:28:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm quite pleased with the 00 buck in flight control.  It turned my SBS Wingmaster "scattergun" into a respectable grouper.

I don't see the need for #1 buck, but what do I know?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you press him for a SKU number?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.  Don't know what that is.

Item number like "FCLE1BK."
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#11]
This is a tag.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
12 Pellet 00 > 16 Pellet #1, but I still welcome this buckshot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I almost posted a note to the effect that someone should go annoy Federal about this very load.  I talked to someone who was supposedly a production engineer at the show last year about it.  Glad to hear they are going through with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.  Don't know what that is.

"Stock Keeping Unit"  it's the item's unique inventory number, usually assigned by the retailer.  I think what he wants to know is the manufacturer's model number.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#15]
This is good news.  I need to put a proposal together explaining why #1 is better and see if the brass will let us buy some for duty use.  We use the 00 FCW and it is great stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#16]
yep––very good news!

Thanks!

P.S.

We sure do miss Tman....
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is good news.  I need to put a proposal together explaining why #1 is better and see if the brass will let us buy some for duty use.  We use the 00 FCW and it is great stuff.

You might find this helpful:  Shotgun Ammo FAQs

I have read it several times and will definitely cite it in my proposal.  Whether that will matter to a bunch of guys that no longer have any use for guns and aren't generally gun guys to begin with remains to be seen.  My best bet is focusing on the "less likely to overpenetrate" aspect as liability is about the only thing that will get the ball rolling sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My best bet is focusing on the "less likely to overpenetrate" aspect as liability is about the only thing that will get the ball rolling sometimes.

That would seem like a good approach.  "Meets FBI specification" and "less likely to overpenetrate" would be two good selling points.

Hopefully they will make this in a low-recoil tactical/duty version, as that's the target market for the load anyhow.

If they do this right, the problem I forsee for the load is that it will be impossible to get after the initial run gets sucked up.  People who want it are going to buy a bunch of it right off the bat.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Any idea if reduced recoil #1 buck (not made by anyone to my knowledge) would still meet the 12" penetration minimum?

Currently, only #4 buck sometimes fails to meet the 12 inch penetration standard.  Any buckshot larger than #4 will meet it.

Yeah, this is really the whole purpose for the desire for the #1 buck load.  It will (should) consistently meet the 12" benchmark, while providing more pattern density and more effective wounding capability than 00 or 000 buck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have read it several times and will definitely cite it in my proposal.  Whether that will matter to a bunch of guys that no longer have any use for guns and aren't generally gun guys to begin with remains to be seen.  My best bet is focusing on the "less likely to overpenetrate" aspect as liability is about the only thing that will get the ball rolling sometimes.

It does have almost twice as many projectiles which have to be accounted for. Will the brass pickup on that?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does have almost twice as many projectiles which have to be accounted for. Will the brass pickup on that?

We used to use #4 and got away from it for that reason so I'm sure it will come up.  It is far less of an issue with the FCW loading from Federal than with more traditional loads though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome!
Thanks for  sharing, Old_Painless, hopefully it'll be on the shelves by the time I'm stateside again.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top