Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 3:53:15 AM EDT
I see on the internet a lot of people are buying 1:7 twist barrels,  yet at my club most everyone including myself are using 1:9.

Do you guys all think there will be military surplus 77g bullets that DMR's use for sale in the future?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to believe that would happen but thats not the reason I have a 1/7.

I reload my own match grade ammo (lots of 77gr) which is why I have a 1-7.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I just checked My Magic 8 Ball. It  says..... My sources say NO. Just my opinion, but since the manufactures can't seem to keep up w/ current demand, I don't see surpluses in the near future.

FB

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Black Hills Mk262 "seconds" (cosmetic rejects) have been available to consumers for years.
Even Cabela's carries them regularly.
They describe them as 5.56 (instead of .223) and then 77 grain MK CL (match king, cannelure)

Other places carry them as well. They come packed in white 50 round boxes.
Other equally effective rounds include Hornady 75 grain 5.56 rounds, and then Hornady and Black Hills 75 grain .223 rounds.
Hunting Shack, SSA, and others produce 5.56 speed 75 grain loads that are also available.

In other words, YES, they are available now to any who want/need/can afford them.
Loading your own provides the opportunity to get even more accuracy and easily match the lethality of the best on the market.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
stop telling
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
stop telling

Sorry FMJ :-)
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#7]
BroncoMafia,
I thought he was talking about surplussed .mil bullets, not loaded ammunition.

FB
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BroncoMafia,
I thought he was talking about surplussed .mil bullets, not loaded ammunition.

FB

You may be right Fat_Boy.
Reloaders know that OTM bullets are delicate at the tip (nothing but a thin copper jacket up there that is easily crushed) and that "pulled" projectiles from Mk262 (SMK 77 grain with cannelure) would likely be damaged by the time they made it to the civilian consumer.
People seeking to load they own OTM defense ammo on a budget should be looking at the Prvi bulk projectiles from wideners or Hornady 75's with cannelure from Pat's Reloading.

If they have a bit more cash, Nosler Custom Competition 77's are the site staff favorites for their fragability.
SMKs have a small meplat (open tip) reducing the consistency of its frag.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no affiliation with wideners, but check them out for mil spec bulk 75 grain bullets. There is a nice review of them that states that they shoot just like Hornady 75's. If that is the case, and I have no reason not to believe it, they must shoot pretty good. I reload Hornady 75's over RE15 and get some MOA groups at 100 yards out of my spikes carbine. At $65 for 500 I am going to give them a try soon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have no affiliation with wideners, but check them out for mil spec bulk 75 grain bullets.

those are the Prvi bullets Darrin.
check out the hornady 75s w/cannelure at PATS RELOADING for $139.99 per 1000.
3 cents more per bullet, but it a better bullet.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top