Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2010 6:40:41 PM EDT
its suggested around here not to use UMC.  Ive used more than 1k roudns of wolf and brown bear(mostly brown bear) withought issue.  I bought 3 boxes of UMC and had my first malfunction 2 days ago.  Because of the reputation i checked all the rounds(twisted the bullet with my fingers) and all seemed firm, but when shooting, i had a FTF.  pulled the actionp back and saw an "empty" sitting on top of the mag.  after pulling it out, i saw that the bullet had pushed nealy all the way into the casing.  The bullet is sticking out 3/16ths of an inch.  the edge of the casing caught the feed ramps and stuck.  When playing with it it fed.  Had it fed whilst shooting i could have had a blown up gun.  Needless to say i will not be using umc anymore(unless i get a bolt gun).  Just thought id share another tally...  I highly recomend not using this stuff in your ar, better off with steel.

edit - oops, sorry for wrong forum, mods
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I won't use UMC .223 for two reasons:

1) it's overpriced

2) too many QC issues (especially bullet setback you mentioned)
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I won't use UMC .223 for two reasons:

1) it's overpriced

2) too many QC issues (especially bullet setback you mentioned)

Same here, it costs more than top quality mil-spec ammo, and for an AR with a 5.56 NATO chamber which can use military ammo, the Rem.UMC stuff is inferior in every way. they don't even use boat-tailed bullets, but flat-base ones. hell, even the cheap Russian ammo has BT bullets, WTF is wrong with Remington?
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Sounds like a typical issue with UMC.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top