Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2009 4:46:18 PM EDT
I just got a shipment of  1000 once-fired 5.56/.223 brass and most of it was LC 09 with the Nato cross.
I have a question about the headstamps on Lake City 09 brass.
  Some have LC 09 with the Nato symbol and others have that plus one to four  1/32" diameter dots punched in the case head.
  What is the significance of these punched dots?
 Does it signify the cartridge case batch?
 Does it signify the type of load - armor piercing,tracer,etc.?

Hope someone can explain it to me.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The dots are for the octal numbering system used at Lake City as part of the small Caliber Ammunition Modernization Program (SCAMP).  A numerical value is assigned to different positions around the case headstamp and the values are added together to give a number that indicates the station on which that particular cartridge case was produced.

Link Posted: 11/25/2009 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe people notice this type of stuff.  It's an interesting bit of trivia, but good God!!!

Go shooting already, and quit studying your brass!
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the same question yesterday and I only asked it because someone else mentioned it in another post and piqued my curiosity.  I think it is an interesting concept and it expains why the dots move around the case head depending on where it was made.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Ya learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you,Molon !!
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you,Molon !!

Da nada.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top