Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 12:04:39 PM EDT
...or do I clearly remember buying Brown Bear 55gr .223 from AIM last year?  I ask because the only stuff that's available now is 62gr (in both FMJ and HP) and I've seen a few ads saying 55gr is new.

Was 55gr Brown Bear available last year?  Was it dropped from production and then added again?  Or did I really buy 62gr?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems that the 55 grain stuff is in short supply compared to 62 grain HP but it definitely exists.  Just bought a case of the 62 grain brown bear, so hopefully it's decent.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've gotten it from a couple of places before, but its just kind of what gets brought into the country. No real rhyme or reason to it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Go for the 62gr stuff, its pretty good and has decent accuracy.

There was 55gr availible for only a week or two. The 55gr stuff generally comes in the spam can things.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm rather new to picking ammunition types, but would I be correct in assuming that if I've zeroed my rifles at 50yards with 55gr ammunition, I would need to re-zero with 62gr?  I've got a stockpile of 55gr set aside, and I don't want to go mixing weights if it's going to cause variations.

Sorry for the n00b questions.  I've only just gotten into scopes and paying attention to grains and such.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm rather new to picking ammunition types, but would I be correct in assuming that if I've zeroed my rifles at 50yards with 55gr ammunition, I would need to re-zero with 62gr?  I've got a stockpile of 55gr set aside, and I don't want to go mixing weights if it's going to cause variations.

Sorry for the n00b questions.  I've only just gotten into scopes and paying attention to grains and such.

Well, just buy a second rifle and zero it for 62gr    it is the ar15.com way.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

According to the Bear ammo website the 55gr and 65gr both have the same velocity, so whatever your zero for the 55gr bear, should be around the same POI of the 62gr bear ammo.

They state tehy both have a muzzle velocity of 3050fps, which means the 62gr stuff has more energy which is why i  would grab that stuff.

Now remember the zero for M193 55gr will be different from .223 55gr zero. Since there is a couple hundred fps difference.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top