Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2009 7:33:02 AM EDT
Just picked up 200 rounds at a gun show, head stamp is OFV 74 M80 7.62

I know the '90s stuff is utter shit, but from all the posts I've seen online the '70s stuff is still decent, apparently made by Radway Green.

I'd like to run it through my DPMS LR-308C I'm picking up tomorrow to break it in, but I won't if it's corrosive or dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Its all bad send it to me for disposal  Never heard that on here before.

I picked up 1000 rd right at the tail end of cheap ammo a few years ago.
I've only used it during an Appleseed Shoot but it went bang every time and seemed to fly straight enough.
Shot it out of my DSA Stg 58 (Fal)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Its all bad send it to me for disposal  Never heard that on here before.

har har har

Quoted:
I've only used it during an Appleseed Shoot but it went bang every time and seemed to fly straight enough.
Shot it out of my DSA Stg 58 (Fal)

Good to know, thanks. I'll probably shoot half of it tomorrow and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh also... not corrosive right?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Not corrosive and  pretty good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent... didn't get a screaming deal but I think I did alright: $80 for 200 rounds including two Frankford Arsenal 100 round plastic boxes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Save the brass, there are many reports of it being reloadable several times.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Shot 60 rounds of it through my LR-308C, no ammo related issues. One of the mags that came with the gun had screwed up feed lips... halfway through the mag it stopped feeding and the bolt would drag over the round. Reminds me of shitty old black USGI followers. I used needle nose pliers on the feed lips and got them straightened out. I don't reload at all (don't get out to shoot enough to justify the cost ) but I'm saving the brass for a coworker who does.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Only picked up 500 during the same period. Kicking myself for not bying tons of it. People were talking some serious shit at that time about Indian ammo but all turned out to be later year production. Works just fine in M1a.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not corrosive and  pretty good stuff.

I have found late 1970's to be VERY corrosive.  Destroyed an M1a barrel after shooting 100 rounds and putting it away without a proper cleaning (for corrosive ammo).  I am not new to corrosive ammo and cleaning, I have 128  Mausers and Mosins which only shoot corrosive ammo and have yet to have a problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#10]
hmm... hopefully this stuff isn't

Other than cleaning the gas tube I thoroughly cleaned it just in case.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top