Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2009 4:45:17 AM EDT
Ordered the commercial loads to give them a whirl on hogs for my 6yr old.  I have shot, and do shoot, the 110gr TSX with complete satisfaction so this was more of an itch that needed scratching.  I have both commercial and tactical loads in 110 TSX and both shoot 2550 fps out of a 16" tube with a AAC SCAR Heavy suppressor.  I was amazed at the 85 TSX loads velocity, average fps reading was 3068.  The reason for my amazment is the conservative readings I got from the other loads and the comm. and tac. load being identical.  i figured the 85gr load would be in the low 2900's.   Accuracy was 1 moa at 100 yards but that is the guns limitation not the round.  This upper was built as a last minute experiment, another itch that needed scratching, to shoot hogs from a helo.  Owner of Centurion Arms out of CA literally threw it together with parts laying around the week before he came out to TX a couple of years ago and the upper has been here since (can't have a gun in the safe I don't play with).  Well with accuracy and velocity questions answered now all I need is a couple hundred hogs/deer to do a real eval on how the 85 stacks up against the 110 in flesh.  My thoughts are that the bullet will get there faster an put a nice ragged hole in the animal but penetration will be somewhat less due to the significant difference in weight.  I do think however this has great potential as a great defense round and a mild recoiling round for younger hunters.

P
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for your thoughts

I bought a couple hundred of this stuff but have yet to shoot it, as I don't have the build that I would like to put together yet....

In reguards to the 85gr, hunters say that it goes through hogs

perhaps this is due to the extra velocity it has over the 110's, and since the rd doesn't fragment I assume it's energy continues to travel through the animal.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure HTR will be along shortly.  

All his reports have the same theme, through and throughs & DRT with the 85 TSX vs. hogs.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top