Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2009 12:20:41 PM EDT
I have a FAL coming early next week and have some ammo stocked up for it. I am going to put a few hundred rounds through it to make sure it works, then sit it in the safe until it becomes cheaper to shoot.

Here's what I have:
Federal XM80: 500 rds
S African surplus: 420 rds
Portugese surplus: 400 rds

When I'm done checking it out, which should I load in a few mags just in case? Crack a battle pack of each surplus and see which one is more accurate?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Find out wich shoots best in your weapon of the 3.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Reload your own

I have a can of Izzy 308 (I think it was 760-rds) and a case of Federal Gold Metal Match (500-rds) for my Rem 700 PSS...  Otherwise, I have lots and lots of brass, powders, primers, and 168-gr FMHBT bullets.  Stockpiling 308 is a very expensive proposition these days so if you don't reload yet, you better start or you will have a tough time affording to shoot that FAL much!

I think my majic load is...

168gr Siera Match King w/ 44 to 44.5gr Varget with Match Primers.  I don't recall my COL

With the FAL you may well want a harder primer but this load kicks butt in my Rem 700 PSS and AR-10T!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have all the stuff to reload .308 from my bolt gun. A the moment I don't have more then a hundred pieces of .308 brass. So I was going to shoot some of the XM80 anyway to start getting some brass, but I'm not using my good Lapua brass for a semi-auto.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a FAL coming early next week and have some ammo stocked up for it. I am going to put a few hundred rounds through it to make sure it works, then sit it in the safe until it becomes cheaper to shoot.

Here's what I have:

When I'm done checking it out, which should I load in a few mags just in case? Crack a battle pack of each surplus and see which one is more accurate?

The most accurate will be the Port, followed by the Fed and the SA should be last. All are more than enough.

ETA: The FAL is a fine choice.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Find out wich shoots best in your weapon of the 3.

Pretty much, and then stock whatever is cheap for pratice.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
few mags= Tap/155 amax once I tested for function,
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You, need more than range ammo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

THe "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo" artilcle lists 155 TAP that as the best all-around .308 load.

I just handloaded some 155 AMAX's for my M1A. I just wish there was a cannelured version of that bullet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You, need more than range ammo.

I have plenty of non range ammo for my ARs which are my first line go-to guns. But it never hurts to have a .30 cal rifle sitting in the background for reinforcement.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Well, looke what Hornady just came out with!  308 Hornady 155gr Mil-Spec Open Tip Match Ammo Cannelured bullet, sealed and crimped

Cheaper than the regular stuff, I think I'll have to pick up some of these bad boys.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/20rds-308-hornady-155gr-milspec-open-tip-match-ammo/manufacturers_id/18

Quoted:
Quoted:

THe "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo" artilcle lists 155 TAP that as the best all-around .308 load.
I just handloaded some 155 AMAX's for my M1A. I just wish there was a cannelured version of that bullet.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmm...just as good as 155 gr FPD/TAP?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Wolf
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't know. I tried looking up some reviews online but came up zero. Looks like a brand new load from Hornady but Hornady site says nothing also.

Quoted:

Hmm...just as good as 155 gr FPD/TAP?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, looke what Hornady just came out with!  308 Hornady 155gr Mil-Spec Open Tip Match Ammo Cannelured bullet, sealed and crimped

Cheaper than the regular stuff, I think I'll have to pick up some of these bad boys.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/20rds-308-hornady-155gr-milspec-open-tip-match-ammo/manufacturers_id/18

Sweet. I hope they will sell just the bullet for us reloaders.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Here's what I have:

I would keep the xm-80 out of the ammo you have listed.  Nothing wrong with port or the S. African but when my hide is on the line, I would feel more confortable using american made ammo if I had the choice.

Also, I believe that the S. African and Port are berdan primed so don't shoot off a bunch of them without checking, thinking that you are going to be able to reload the cases.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]
––––-
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Just about all of the currently available 7.62 NATO ammunition will serve you very well in the unlikely event
you find yourself using an M14/M1A, FAL, HK91 for self defense.

The 155 AMAX and Barnes DPX are reported to be very good if you need something more exotic.

One of the guys who used to post here all the time (AR15kittykat?) reported very good results using Winchester
150gr Silver Tips on hogs. He had pics to prove it.

In my FAL the Lithuainian is very accurate as well as the Aussie.

The ammo you currently have should be good to go. Take 20 rnds of each and see which groups best
if you are curious. I think what matters most is reliability however.

Cheers,

EMSflyer
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top