Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2008 6:51:38 PM EDT
Yipee.. not only do have my fair stock of AR's and lowers now for me and my family but I also got my all time favorite M1A. Bought a loaded one since it was much cheaper than a NM and all the NM's were nowhere to be found. Only difference I think is the bedding that can be done with some time and caution.

Ammo...suggestions? I can't afford $1 a round and would like to feed it something that will feed and function.

I have not reloaded in years but I do still have all the equipment and I guess brass should be saved and kept safe for our children who may not ever get to buy it. Which is it that can not be reloaded, Boxer or Berdan?

Any suggestions as to where I should look for a good deal on 1K of .308 for the M1A?

Thanks,
Rich
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Definately a good choice of weapon. Just put it in a factory synthetic strock and you won't really need to bed it. You could, but the bedding will loosen after a period of time and the accuracy gained over the synthetic is easier to make up with practice. I had a loaded and it was very accurate, wish I had it now. I fed it everything, never jammed. Go to 44mag.com and get the mags cheap, they sell the real deal cheaper than anyone else I know. If you want cheap ammo, go with wolf steel case. Never had a jam and fed over 5000 rounds total through 2 M1As. Smells weird though. Never had any ammo failures either, every round fed and fired. In fact, through my AKs, and my M1As, I've fired well over 15,000 rounds and can count on one hand the failures to fired after a solid hammer strike. My AR in .308 hates it, I had to sell over 1000 rounds after I sold the M1A to get more ammo for the AR. I would trust the M1A a lot more than my AR. Just my opinion and experience. I love my Ar for a target gun though, but the loaded M1a was a little more accurate. Both boxer and berdan are reloadable, but the berdan is aggravating to say the least, and components are harder to come by. Don't reload the steel case stuff. You shouldn't need  small base dies for the M1a, but it wouldn't hurt to get them if you don't already have a set. If you want to crimp, I suggest the Lee factory crimp die. Get the rcbs small base die set and set the seater to just seat, and crimp with the lee. A lot of people don't crimp, but I find it reassuring personally. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the ammo price link at the top. My favorite accurate .308 is the Parvi Partisan 168 match. You can order it and it is priced resaonable and very accurate.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Widener's still has Lithuanian ball surplus left at $490/case. It's going fast. Only 11 cases left (55) down from about 900 or so a week ago. Comes in 200 round battlepacks as pictured.
Widener's 308 ammo
Shipping will be somewhere around $20 probably to SC. If you order 2 cases on the same order it increases quite a bit. I split my orders for that reason to save shipping. On 2 cases shipping totaled $70 UPS, but separately was $19.37 per case.
As expected they are really backed up on the shipping and accepting web orders only right now. Chris at Widener's assured me the web inventory shown is accurate, and that's one reason they are accepting web orders only.
I ordered another case on the 7th and expect it to ship tomorrow probably, so that will give you some idea of the current delay if you go that route.
They are good people and I have never had any problem with them.

ETA: This ammo is boxer primed and reloadable. I haven't unboxed my first case yet so I'm not sure about a primer crimp. It looks crimped in the picture, but I'm not certain.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Widener's still has Lithuanian ball surplus left at $490/case. It's going fast. Only 11 cases left (55) down from about 900 or so a week ago. Comes in 200 round battlepacks as pictured.
Widener's 308 ammo
Shipping will be somewhere around $20 probably to SC. If you order 2 cases on the same order it increases quite a bit. I split my orders for that reason to save shipping. On 2 cases shipping totaled $70 UPS, but separately was $19.37 per case.
As expected they are really backed up on the shipping and accepting web orders only right now. Chris at Widener's assured me the web inventory shown is accurate, and that's one reason they are accepting web orders only.
I ordered another case on the 7th and expect it to ship tomorrow probably, so that will give you some idea of the current delay if you go that route.

ETA: This ammo is boxer primed and reloadable. I haven't unboxed my first case yet so I'm not sure about a primer crimp. It looks crimped in the picture, but I'm not certain.

FUCK

I thought that was sold out everywhere, as Ammoman and AIM were out.  I would have bought some more but now I'm tapped out of funds from other ammo panic buys.  I'm down to 2200 rounds of the Lithuanian.  It is GREAT .308.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt it will last the night, certainly not through tomorrow.
Already down to 37 as I speak.

The panic buying is amazing. I've never seen anything close.
Their Prvi 168 grain match was 1700 last thursday or Friday, now down to 582.
I just started watching it to gauge what was happening.
223/5.56 like M193 is going going gone.
Damndest thing I ever seen, and if you think about it, somewhere around half the purchasers would be voters for "that one."
I may order another case of 308 thinking about it that way.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I doubt it will last the night, certainly not through tomorrow.
Already down to 37 as I speak.

The panic buying is amazing. I've never seen anything close.
Their Prvi 168 grain match was 1700 last thursday or Friday, now down to 582.
I just started watching it to gauge what was happening.
223/5.56 like M193 is going going gone.
Damndest thing I ever seen, and if you think about it, somewhere around half the purchasers would be voters for "that one."
I may order another case of 308 thinking about it that way.

Make that 22 left, I just orderd 15. Decided NOW's the time to rotate my stock. Replace some of my South African BP's with newer Lith. I'll have some SA for sale once I actually receive the Lith.
FWIW:
I remember back in the Radway 5.56 days I alerted Arfcommers that Widener's was about to run out of the 720rd cans..which their website showed it was going fast...kinda like this Lith is going, then all of a sudden they showed another 700 or so more ammo cans....but the price did go up.  I remember that quite well, but I'm not willing to take the chance, especially with who's about to be our commander in chief....can't buy it cheap anymore, but we can still stack it deep..at least for now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, it was 9 showing and I ordered another case.
It was showing 1 battlepack when I checked out.
Well, I went out on a limb for all I could stand, then got some more.

ARFCOM has turned me into an ammo whore.
Well, it just brought me out of the closet
It still amazes me how fast it went.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope.. just 1 package left. Not worth ordering just 1. I worked late tonight to get some extra cash for all this spending and as soon as I walked in got the message and tried. Oh well...

Has anyone tried that South African Pimp stuff ? If not I think I am going to order up some from Canned Heat in GA. Back orderd I am sure, guess I'll be buying a $20 box at wallmart just so I can say she is christened this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Ammoman.com still has Lithuanian at $549 per thousand and that price includes delivery to your door. I have purchased 4 cases from him in the last 3 weeks. Buy now or lose out!
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Widener's 308 ammo

I ordered 4K rounds two weeks ago
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check the ammo price link at the top. My favorite accurate .308 is the Parvi Partisan 168 match. You can order it and it is priced resaonable and very accurate.

IF this is a good round I may order some. I've never ordered Parvi in any caliber but I've been looking at it in 223 as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 3:44:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I ordered 1K of the Prvi Partizan M80 from Widener's for my M1A. I've been shooting irons with no proper rest, so the best it's done for me is 3-4" groups. Always reliable and good brass for reloading. It will leave primer sealant all over the action, though.

Of course, my shootin' partner shoots the exact same ammo out of his CZ550 Varmint for sub-moa groups. He can hit golf balls with it at 100 yards. I'd say try some.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ammoman.com still has Lithuanian at $549 per thousand and that price includes delivery to your door. I have purchased 4 cases from him in the last 3 weeks. Buy now or lose out!

I never noticed that he raised the price.  I think as recently as last month I got a crate from him at 490/1000.  As mentioned above the Privi Partizan ball ammo is also very good.  The Lithuanian shoots a little better in my AR10 without the red mess though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the lithuanian non-magnetic?
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is the lithuanian non-magnetic?

Yes.  So is the Privi.  Ironically, Winchester Q3130 7.62 x 51 IS magnetic.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Ammoman.com just went dry on Lithuanian .308.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I sure hope my order on Friday will be filled. I am guessing his inventory #'s are accurate and if it says it just ran out now whomever ordered prior to that and this morning should be safe.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I sure hope my order on Friday will be filled. I am guessing his inventory #'s are accurate and if it says it just ran out now whomever ordered prior to that and this morning should be safe.

I ordered on Thurs. not sure if my order will be filled as well. It's a wait and see deal.

I'm very temped to blow my budget and order from Widners.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Blowing your budget...you and everyone else!

Honestly my gut says that the bubble will eventually bust, but then it will start all over again it's all in the timing. Take it from someone who knows bubbles, I know about bubbles to the 10th degree compaired to this pocket change gun stuff! I got 2 houses in Florida vacant and eating away at the little bit I have left to my name. I fell for the real estate bubble and it was all in the timing. Bought 2 homes a few doors from each other to be built, I was going to move into one and rent the other one. Hurricanes moved in and slowed down construction then I got a job transfer, could not sell them because they were completed about 2 months after the bubble blew. It's been 2+ years now and still sitting on them and it's getting worse by the day.

If it's cash you can afford to drink, gamble or spend on women go ahead and buy ammo and guns instead but otherwise...think twice. Don't fall for the panik bubble buy and be sorry. I am falling somewhat for it myself I agree but within my means.

Soapbox off...sorry but if I can make someone think twice and help a person or family in the long run it's worth it. Now excuise me while I go and buy another 2K!

Hi my name is Rich
I'm a ammo whore and it's been 2 days since I have been clean
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#20]
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/24_100_287/products_id/2497

Its been awhile since I've seen any of this.  The DAG is supposed to be loaded quite hot and have a bi-metal jacket that fragments more than any other M80 type round.  I don't know whats up with the discoloration though, they claim it is just cosmetic.  If this ammo is fine 460/1000 is good for today's market.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Lithuanian is back at ammoman.com and at the same price...$549 delivered!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Just ordered 2 cases
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I got my case Thursday and it looks good. No time to shoot today, I got to make room and set up shelves for the ammo that has arrived and will be arriving and my presses.

My problem is that now i got to decide what else I need. 1.5 cases of 5.56 is about the price of a case of .308. I got some decisions to make now that I have a bit of everything. I may just back off the ammo and start buying components now that I have brass to work with. I am set for primers, just need to work on more powder and more bullets. I just have not done reloading supply shopping in MANY years, don't know who the fair good prices are coming from. Back in the old days I just did gun shows and saved the shipping but it's not worth going to shows I think anymore for components.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top