Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2008 5:51:44 PM EDT
Got a Remington 700 in .308 with Leupold Mark 4.  

I'm going to zero my scope with Federal Gold 175 grain BTHP for purposes of competitive shooting and hunting.

But, if I'm just having fun at the range, is there a more cost-effective round that won't sacrifice accuracy much?  Or ought I just buy a bunch of the Fed Gold and reload?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Got a Remington 700 in .308 with Leupold Mark 4.  

I'm going to zero my scope with Federal Gold 175 grain BTHP for purposes of competitive shooting and hunting.

But, if I'm just having fun at the range, is there a more cost-effective round that won't sacrifice accuracy much?  Or ought I just buy a bunch of the Fed Gold and reload?

I don't think the Federal brass is the best for reloading.  I'm really liking the Privi Partisan .308 as well as the Lithuanian 7.62, but I'm not sure if the Lithuanian will work in every bolt gun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:55:22 AM EDT
[#2]
"Let's talk .308 ammo.." ..................

Hmm. Ridiculously expensive. Oh, along with every other cartridge out there.

But I do agree with Falar; I also dont care for Federal brass. My experiences have pointed me toward Win. brass....
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I would not "buy" federal brass, but I sure reload what I have or pick it up if it's laying about.

Rumor has it that some years of federal brass are not the best for reloading for various reasons. Mine work fine, but looking into my scrap brass bin, it's mainly federal that's in there. Just inspect that stuff, well.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#4]
My wallet would lean me more towards the PRVI MATCH loads if they were accurate from my rifle. $1.50 per trigger pull would severely limit my range time.

If PRVI wouldn't cut it in my rifle, it's time to start handloading.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My plan for the M1A: I bought 1000 rounds of M80 Prvi Partisan and some M852 bullets (168 BTHP) from Hi-Tech ammo for reloading after I blast through the PP. Will run those over some IMR 4895. Of course, you could just get the PP Match if you don't want to blast first, and then reload with M852 or M118 bullets.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top