Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2008 5:54:50 AM EDT
I found Winchester white box 5.56 ammo for $9.99/20.  Is this a good price?  Also, they have blue or red box, Black Hills ammo for $29.99/50.  Is the Winchester 5.56 better ammo than the Black Hills 223?  I am still trying to learn this ammo thing??
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#1]
For the extra dime a round, I'd go with the BH red - the blue is remanufactured.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If your talking about 55 gr FMJ for .50-.60 a rd,I wouldn't buy any at that price,BH red isn't worth that much IMO
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I found Winchester white box 5.56 ammo for $9.99/20.  Is this a good price?  Also, they have blue or red box, Black Hills ammo for $29.99/50.  Is the Winchester 5.56 better ammo than the Black Hills 223?  I am still trying to learn this ammo thing??

No, its not a good price. (about average)
And I don't think this is a fair comparison, either. If it is actually 5.56, you are comparing it to a .223 load. (I would rather have the 5.56)

If you have no ammo and need/want to go shoot, I would probably buy a few boxes for the range. (If you cannot get anything cheaper).

And if you have not done so yet, please read the Ammo FAQ at the top and the ammo oracle and you will know more than you ever wanted to know about 5.56/.223 ammo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
my 2 cents would be to buy some, save the cases and reload.  as long as you have good quality brass you can play with loads to get what you want much cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Define "better"

First thing (once you've read a the ammo oracle)  have you verified your rifle is chambered for the 5.56 round vs .223?
I've got nothing bad to say about Winchester Q3131 and I've always been a bigger fan of the Israeli made Q3131"A" some of my favorite 5.56 ammo.
Thing about Black Hills Blue or Red box, Black Hills has closer tolerances as far as QC is concerned. Yep it's lower pressure...loaded to .223 specs, but it's a given you'll shoot tighter groups with the BH. Black Hills ammo is known for more consistant loads than any commercial manufacturer that I know of...that's that extra $ you're paying for when you buy Black Hills. About the only way to get tighter strings is to roll your own.
Hope that helps
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#6]
It is unfortunate, but amazing the universal belief, that...Buying an accurate firearm will perform with CHEAP ammo.  You have to pay to play.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top