Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 6:04:51 AM EDT
...any suggestions?  Got some Fat 50's I need to fill up and store...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#1]
http://silicagelpackets.com/  use coupon 20OFFNOW for 20% off
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I work part time at a retail store.  We sell shoes among other things.  I went though all the shoe boxes and got the desiccants.  If you can get a similar set up (ie you know someone that works at such a store) I think that's a great idea.  Hell at the prices I've seen them I would walk into a store and just ask the manager.  They just get thrown away.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
You can purchase them from me here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=348298

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's another I've dealt with.....   http://www.sorbentsystems.com/desiccant_overview.html
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Jeeze, all these rich guys want to BUY stuff.  Us poorboys have other ways and means.

Go to most any construction site or bulding supply yard and ask if there are any dryrock/wallboard scraps.  There will most always be.  Drywall has to be trimmed.  Sheets break often in storage/loading/unloading.   If you ask nicely, folks should be happy to give them to you just to get rid of them.

Gypsum wallboard is very hydroscopic.  Absorbs moisture.

Cut the scraps into pieces about the size of a playing card.  Peel the paper off one side and bake in the oven at about 150 degrees for an hour or two to dry it out.  You can then put it in an ammo can or other sealable container and the drywall will absorb all the mositure within.  You can re-dry it almost an unlimited number of times.

Spend your money on ammo, pilgrim!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I juse use the stuff from the shoe boxes.  Dang I have gotten alot from my wife.

The Drywall thing I am going to do.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I get mine every time we change a FJ44-3A.

Also use the old kitty litter and coffee filter trick.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#8]
" all these rich guys want to BUY stuff"

If $35-$45 for dessicant is too expensive, how ya gonna spend a couple hundred bucks on a case o' ammo?

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Jeeze, all these rich guys want to BUY stuff.  Us poorboys have other ways and means.

Go to most any construction site or bulding supply yard and ask if there are any dryrock/wallboard scraps.  There will most always be.  Drywall has to be trimmed.  Sheets break often in storage/loading/unloading.   If you ask nicely, folks should be happy to give them to you just to get rid of them.

Gypsum wallboard is very hydroscopic.  Absorbs moisture.

Cut the scraps into pieces about the size of a playing card.  Peel the paper off one side and bake in the oven at about 150 degrees for an hour or two to dry it out.  You can then put it in an ammo can or other sealable container and the drywall will absorb all the mositure within.  You can re-dry it almost an unlimited number of times.

Spend your money on ammo, pilgrim!

That sounds pretty clever...may have to try that!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.veritemp.com/Products/Bulk+Silica+Gel/
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I use these.   They work great for your SHTF ammo cans.  

www.sorbentsystems.com/desiccants_dri-box_appl.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Did this for a bit in my gun cabinet worked very well

go to ANY pet store.
Buy SILICA CAT LITTER about 5 to 10 bucks a bag depending on the size. Unscented, generic plain ol' kitty litter dude.

Place about a cup worth in a coffee filter. Fold it and seal the seam (duct tape or packing tape).

Low cost and excellent dehumidifier

edit spelling
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I found some desiccant at:   ODSURPLUS.COM    

Cheap and free shipping
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top