Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:48:00 AM EDT
I can get a couple .223 Federal 200 round value packs for 33.4 cents a round total.  They are 50 gr. HPs.  I don't have any .223 HP was wondering if this stuff has decent expansion for varmints and other small game?

Or should I just get some Wolf or Silver Bear .223 HP instead for like 28 cents a round?

That Federal brass is reloadable, right?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Reloadable but it's the worst of 223 brass, don't expect more than 2-3 reloads before it gets ready to come apart.  I've read the round is good for varmints.  I've shot it at 100 yards was pretty good out of my 16" 1:9.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#2]
i toss all of the federal brass i find into my scrap bucket.

I have primers fall out on reloads and neck cracks after 1 reload.... I consider it dangerous
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
At the 33.4 cents a pop you can scrap the brass and get that difference in buying Wolf about equal.I got a shitload of that beginning at $45.52 per 200 and bought right up to $57.88 price and after that went immediately to $76.87 and no more.That is extremely accurate in all my rifles
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard that the most recent Federal Value Packs have been loaded with Lake City brass. Which is top notch brass. I don't know for sure though, as none of the Wally Worlds around here carry the stuff.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I also quit buying the VP when it went above $57.88.  Shoots good in all my rifles also, still have about 4k laying around.  Now I just reload.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
I can get a couple .223 Federal 200 round value packs for 33.4 cents a round total.  They are 50 gr. HPs.  I don't have any .223 HP was wondering if this stuff has decent expansion for varmints and other small game?

Or should I just get some Wolf or Silver Bear .223 HP instead for like 28 cents a round?

That Federal brass is reloadable, right?

I tested some 50gr HP along with some hornaday v-max bullets in 40gr and 55gr.  Shooting into 12" of wet phone books. both the v-maxs exploded on impact and made awesome looking holes in the phonebook. The 50gr HP penatrated further then the v-max's and not quite as devasting. But for sure would blow up a varmint. The 50gr HP made it to 8" deep. The 40gr V-max made it to 4" deep. The 55gr V-max made it to 6"deep. Gun was a bushmaster M4 16" barrel. Shooting at 50 yards away.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#7]
They are also effective against Jello Monsters
I've seen the pics all over the internet... Usually the FBI shoots them dead for violatitng some Jello Monster Law.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've heard that the most recent Federal Value Packs have been loaded with Lake City brass. Which is top notch brass.

Mine sure as hell was.  NATO stamp and LC08.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Lucky bastards, the last one I picked up was in Nov and had the junk FC brass.

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've heard that the most recent Federal Value Packs have been loaded with Lake City brass. Which is top notch brass.

Mine sure as hell was.  NATO stamp and LC08.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:

I have primers fall out on reloads and neck cracks after 1 reload.... I consider it dangerous

Ditto on poor brass and primers falling out and tying up the bolt or trigger, (only in a Saber Defence, and a Noveske, not in my Colt or RRA). It exspands ok on dirt dogs, although the accuracy isn't anything to write home about. I bought a half case of the Fed 50gr HP in the red boxes , loaded in Fed cases.  Real crap. I toss all my Fed brass these days, and use only L.C., or Winchester for reloading, although others are probably fine.--lasts alot longer, and holds primers for 5-8 loadings.  I just don't know what Fedaral is thinking these days...Their Gold Medal stuff is plenty accurate though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Ditto on poor brass and primers falling out and tying up the bolt or trigger, (only in a Saber Defence, and a Noveske, not in my Colt or RRA). It exspands ok on dirt dogs, although the accuracy isn't anything to write home about. I bought a half case of the Fed 50gr HP in the red boxes , loaded in Fed cases.  Real crap. I toss all my Fed brass these days, and use only L.C., or Winchester for reloading, although others are probably fine.--lasts alot longer, and holds primers for 5-8 loadings.  I just don't know what Fedaral is thinking these days...Their Gold Medal stuff is plenty accurate though.

I have personally shot over 4,000 rounds of the 50gr Federal HP along with friends who have fired near 2,000 rounds. We have never experienced a primer falling out. Have had pretty good accuracy. Are you talking about primers falling out after reloading?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#12]
No, before reloading.   Really, I've got nothing against Fed, but I've had more than several primers fall out while shooting dogs, and tying up guns.  One primer actually got into the carrier, and fudged up the gun until we could get it back to the shop for dissasembly, (Memorial Day).
    That was the last time I fire any of that ammo. But like I said, just in some guns and not others.  We checked headspace on both, and it was fine.  Maybe just a bad lot?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#13]
GREAT!  i have about 600 rounds of the stuff boxed up. had bought it with the intention of being able to shoot and then reload.  looks like they may be one and done.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't had any probs with the cases so far, other than they aren't in it for the long haul.  Primers are crimped, no probs with them falling out or anything, but you should just check yours out when you're done shooting and see what you think.  I bet you can get a couple of loads out of them using a light plinker load.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
GREAT!  i have about 600 rounds of the stuff boxed up. had bought it with the intention of being able to shoot and then reload.  looks like they may be one and done.

Just to clarify, I bought 1/2 case, individually boxed (20rnds), red "American Eagle"
boxes, Fed cases, 50gr HP.  Not LC cases, no primer crimp.  Very soft brass.  This was sold as a half case, and boxed as such, not just a bunch of individual boxes, all the same lot.  I wish I had the box here, I could tell you the lot number, but I don't.  I hope you don't have the same crap I got.  I bought it about a year ago, if that helps.
This was not their XM193, which although sometimes discolored, is allways pretty good stuff. I have a bunch of that, and I've never had a problem with it.  I'm not sure what to do with this 50gr HP stuff, can't sell it, won't shoot it.  Might use it for my last stand--after I've exhaused all my other ammo-- when the zombies come.  We'll see if it exspands then.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I have shot lots in my S&W M&P 15T and Armalite A2 and Armalite A4 and nary a problem.I bought it starting late into the stashing program because it was cheap and I have reloaded a few thousand of the Federal brass with AA2200 powder,#41 cci primers full house loads using 55 grain FMJ and no trouble either
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top