Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2008 9:16:59 AM EDT
The range I plan on going to doesn't snoop through your ammo or ask any questions, but I am not the kind of person who is going to mess their stuff up just b/c I can get away with it. I hate crap like that...so...can I SAFELY use M855 at an indoor range? They have a slanted steel back-stop and I think they have one of those snail-shaped bullet catchers. Will M855 cause any issues, or am I G2G?
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Only way to know for sure is to call and ask them.

Im willing to bet they say no. All the indoor ranges ive asked in Houston dont allow any ball 223/5.56. Some allow frangibles.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I would ask to be safe.  But then again you may run the risk of them saying "no" on M855.

Better to be safe than sorry dude....
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The 50 yard indoor range that I shoot at during the winter months does not allow M855.  The penetrator tends to chew up the traps more than a standard lead core bullet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The 50 yard indoor range that I shoot at during the winter months does not allow M855.  The penetrator tends to chew up the traps more than a standard lead core bullet.

I will sight in at my own range with the M855 then. No sense in being an ass. Thanks!

ETA: Sounds like a statement implying that M855 IS meaner than M193 even at close-range on steel targets
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will sight in at my own range with the M855 then. No sense in being an ass. Thanks!

ETA: Sounds like a statement implying that M855 IS meaner than M193 even at close-range on steel targets

In addition, steel core/jacket has a much higher chance of ricochet back to the shooting line, especially on a 25 or 50 yard indoor range.

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
[
In addition, steel core/jacket has a much higher chance of ricochet back to the shooting line, especially on a 25 or 50 yard indoor range.

The way indoor ranges are constructed this is not possible. they wind up with little more then a dust pile below the back stops
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

The way indoor ranges are constructed this is not possible. they wind up with little more then a dust pile below the back stops

Actually, it is entirely possible, as I've taken care of  Law Enforcement Officers in the ER for those occurrences.  Vertical funnel traps commonly used on pistol ranges seem to have this problem more than others.

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I will just play it safe and do my sighting in with M855 outside at that house.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats what i thought too but i was told otherwise. Ppl at 2 seperate indoor ranges told me that rounds will shrapenal back at the firing line. A new range opened up back in December and allowed 5.56/223 but changed their policy after only a couple of months.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been shooting mine in Pasadena, TX. No issues and they allow alot bigger then .223.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 2:52:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I hear talk of many ranges now doing the magnet test - anything sticking to it isn't allowed.  It doesn't matter if it is steel-cored or gilded steel jacket - if the magnet is attracted to it, it can't be shot.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top