Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2008 3:34:33 PM EDT
Ive read thru the posted ammo threads but didnt see any test dealing with moisture.I did see some done with LC stuff(which BH uses as well as Win. primers) and steel cased stuff but not the BH.Im wondering if its sealed at the neck and the primer?On some of my rounds i think i see sealant on the primer but on others i cant tell and i im not even gonna try to pry the bullet out of the casingto check there as im ignorant to that aspect(i dont reload).Can anybody help?Ill be using this as SHTF ammo and i dont wanna worry about not getting it wet.Thanks alot

Mike

ETA: I can also get some Win. Q3131, would that be better?
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Black Hills red box 75 OTM grain ammunition has sealed primers, but no case-mouth sealant.

Link Posted: 1/19/2008 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.What about the 55 grain? sorry i didnt specify.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a box of 55grn.fmj. Black Hills "red box" and noticed the brass is Lake City (06) brass.  Went to their site and noticed it isn't a catalog item so I called.  They said that they have a few year contract to produce this ammo.  Although I have a little stock of Federal xm193 lot # 148 in LC (07) brass stored away I wouldn't think anything Black Hills makes is of less quality than anything on the market in America.  It doesn't look to me like any of my Fed.,BH,or Q3131 WCC (06) brass is sealed at the neck so it must not be an issue.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
So i guess moisture is not an issue?For instance, the SEALs are in water all the time, do the  use specialty ammo or jus plain 'ol M855?Dont get me wrong im not comparing myself to a SEAL, but if i have to dive in some water i wanna know my ammo will function.As of right now i have 200 rounds green tip M855,100 rounds Q3131, and ~150 Bh .223 "red box".Should i worry?
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So i guess moisture is not an issue?For instance, the SEALs are in water all the time, do the  use specialty ammo or jus plain 'ol M855?Dont get me wrong im not comparing myself to a SEAL, but if i have to dive in some water i wanna know my ammo will function.As of right now i have 200 rounds green tip M855,100 rounds Q3131, and ~150 Bh .223 "red box".Should i worry?

Oh yes...you should sit up all night worrying about wet ammo functioning.

If you need that kind of ammo ever...it'll be given to you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yes...you should sit up all night worrying about wet ammo functioning.

If you need that kind of ammo ever...it'll be given to you.

Well i would think it should be something to consider when planning for SHTF senerios.i KNOW im not the only one to plan for that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Black Hills red box 75 OTM grain ammunition has sealed primers, but no case-mouth sealant.

www.box.net/shared/static/ez9cc7pep2.jpg

www.box.net/shared/static/ubb56mh6f8.jpg

this is true of all Red box Black Hills ammo.  If you drop a box of BH red box in the lake then fairly quickly get them out, I expect every one to fire.

Blue box is not sealed at the primer, this is a greater risk, as the primer would be easier to foul then a whole powder charge.   Blue is practice ammo anyway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with the poster above as I actually shoot in crappy weather sometimes.

OP you can use this bullet and primer sealer on any ammo you are worried about.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks, that stuff looks awsome.Ill have to get some.Can the primer be sealed on the inside and just not look it?I have a bunch of Baurnaul(sp?) steel cased stuff with red sealant around the primer and bullet neck so its obviously sealed but my Win. Q3131 has none of that but if its true M193 i would think it would be sealed at both ends, correct?

ETA: If you have used it before,do you know if the sealant be used on already made bullets or just when reloading?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So, why not just buy cheaper ammo, such as Black Hills blue box and use that stuff to seal 'em yourself? I don't plan on reloading, so worrying about brass is not an issue for me. Apart from that, it would seem that the only difference between red and blue box is the primer sealant.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top