Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2007 3:37:59 AM EDT
I'm doing my economics paper on .223 ammo pricing and markets. I'm thinking of doing a survey.

Anyone interested?

Questions

1. What price per case will be to much and will prevent you from buying anymore?

2. Have you switched from military grade ammo like xm193 to Wolf or other less expensive brands now that prices have increased?

3. What do you consider a good price per case for military grade m855 or m193?

4. Have the recent price increases caused you to stop buying or buy less?

5. Have you switched to other calibers like 7.62x39?

Link Posted: 11/13/2007 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, and no it really is a paper. I have to cover the demand elasticity of a product. I figured the current .223 market would be a good fit since prices have really gone up, and there's really 3 markets civilian, police, and military. It gives me a lot to write about.

Thanks for bringing up reloading. I didn't think about that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm doing my economics paper on .223 ammo pricing and markets. I'm thinking of doing a survey.

Anyone interested?

Questions

1. What price per case will be to much and will prevent you from buying anymore?
I won't buy ammo that is over $0.40/round unless it is something really special.

2. Have you switched from military grade ammo like xm193 to Wolf or other less expensive brands now that prices have increased?
I've never shot military ammo on purpose.  I am considering going Wolf instead of other more expensive commercial .223, however.

$0.35 or less.

Yes.  I don't have a lot of money to throw around.  The last time I went shooting, a friend had to buy half of my ammo for me.  It's embarrassing.

No.  I don't have the money to buy a firearm in any other caliber at the moment, but I do plan on getting a CZ-75 so I can take advantage of the much cheaper 9mm ammo prices.  It's only about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of 5.56x45 ammo.

Answers are in italics in the quote itself.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#4]
1. 35 cents per round is my cutoff.

2. I am just getting into shooting the AR and .223/5.56 and I have not shot any XM193/M855 due to the price. I have used PRVI Partizan M193, Wolf, Brown Bear, and Remington. After trying the Wolf and BB and seeing it was just as reliable in an AR as it is in my SKS I have started to stockpile it instead. I may buy a few more cases of PRVI so I can save the brass I would eventually like to get into reloading.

3. 35 cents per round is my max. It would take a drop to 30 cents per round for me to consider stocking up on it.

4. As I said, I just got into shooting the AR. However, The current increase in ammo accross the market has me interested in shooting more .22LR.

5. 22LR. Now that ARs are so expensive to feed I have been considering an FN PS90. The price of ammo is what was keeping me from getting one in the past. Good ammo for the AR is more than what 5.7 costs now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#5]
1. It is too much now for brass cased ammo, so I don't buy a whole case at a time, maybe only a couple boxes on a rare occasion (of brass cased).

2. Yes, I have been shooting steel cased ammo almost exclusively in .223

3. $250 would be reasonable  

4. Yes, if I do buy brass cased ammo at the current prices, it will be match type rounds for superior accuracy.

5. I do shoot other calibers, but the .22lr pistol is used more than anything else.  It is also cheaper to shoot .30 carbine, so it will be used more.
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Anyone interested?

Questions

I don't buy it by the case as much anymore, but make small  purchases when I find deals and stock up more slowly.

I have always used a wide variety of ammo and usually only avoid reloads or ammo that has a track record for bad or dangerous performance.

If it were back down to $200-250 per thousand I'd probably start buying cases again.

Yes

I have done more handgun shooting and rimfire shooting.  I haven't been around my 7.62 x 39 weapons as often due to operational commitments.

Link Posted: 11/14/2007 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#7]
1. $350/case or 35 cents per round (shipping & taxes included).
2.  Yes buying/shooting Wolf almost exclusively.  A little M193 stashed away for Zombies.
3.  $275
4.  Buy no military grade ammy and less Wolf.
5.  Yes, .22LR
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#8]

More than 300 per K has kept me from buying any military grade ammo (Q3131,XM193 and the like)
   If Black Hills goes above 500 per K. I will stop buying.

I shoot alot of Wolf for plinking and use Black Hills 75gr to train and check my zero.

$300 - $350

I don't buy military grade ammo anymore. Its close to the same price as Black Hills. 75gr has better performance and the price is the same. I am buying and shooting less.

Yes, .22, 9MM and 30-06.

Link Posted: 11/14/2007 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#9]
1. Quit buying at $ 250 a case. Stock factory for SHTF ammo, don't shoot.

2. I reload, don't shoot Wolf.

3. $ 300 now days. Can reload 1k for about $150, why pay double?

4. Yes, but only bought on sale before the insame prices anyway.

5. No, have a large stash of reloads, good supply of componets. Buy more when I see a
   deal. Am about 3 years ahead of my shooting needs.

Need a question # 6.

6. Have the prices of 223 ammo made you consider reloading?

Link Posted: 11/14/2007 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Anyone interested?

Questions

over 225.00/1000

Yes

200.00/1000 or less

Yes and no....   I'm reloading the thousands of rounds of M/T 5.56 brass I have laying around.  Picking up some new if the price is not too bad. I'm not buying 5,000 at a clip anymore.

Yes, I'm knee deep in x39, 8mm and 54R, those go to the range more often.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Another factor to consider with ammo, many shooters are stocking up large reserves, and many seem to be "saving" the good stuff and shooting the cheaper stuff.  With some, it is almost "panic buying"   whenever some becomes available, they get out the plastic and buy more than they would had supplies been better.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone interested?

Questions

over 225.00/10000

At $225 per 10k , buy all you can afford and then some
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone interested?

Questions

over 225.00/10000

A typo, I meant 1000. At $225/10K I'd be swimming in it.

At $225 per 10k , buy all you can afford and then some
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Anyone interested?

Questions

I stopped buying at the $250-275 range. I will not buy at the current prices.

No, I am using my current "buy cheap stack deep" stock and should last upwards of 6 years

$250 IMHO

I have stoped buying ammo in 223/556 and .308. Currently, I am saving all my brass and will slowly buy reloading equipment and components. I figure once my current stock depletes I can turn to reloading without spending a large cache of cash for the equipment. I will slowly build my equipment over time.

No, I only shoot 556/223/.308 for rifle calibers.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]

> $250/1000

Yes

$200-250/1000

Yes

Yes, .22
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I handload, and have been for many, many years.  The only factory I shoot is stuff that I bought with the rifle, and it's almost all gone now.]

But, I don't handload to save costs.  I handload to taylor loads to a specific task.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the responses.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Anyone interested?

Questions

I stoped buying plinking .223 when it hit .30 cents per round shipped. I have paid up to .45 per round for match grade ammo for competition.

I picked up 2k of wolf for @.17 per round when brass cased .223 hit .35+ per round. I will not pay more than .20 per round for Wolf\Barnul.

A good price now, or a good price in general? A good price now is .35 per round, if you can find it. A good price in general would be closer to .20 per round.

I've stoped buying any new ammo other then .22lr.

Lots of .22lr. It dosen't take long for conversion kits to pay for themselves if you shoot enough.

Link Posted: 11/16/2007 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Anyone interested?

Questions

350 is too much now.  Its already past the point of impulse buying for me.

I've never shot Wolf in an AR, but in the past few months I've strongly considered it for the first time.

I'd pay 250 for it.

Less. A lot less, but I've also been shooting less.

More .22, and 8mm, although that seems to be running low also.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Questions

for me we're there already.

yes, wolf is all I shoot now.

150-200 bucks would within my budget

ohhh ya.

no, but I shoot pistols alot more now and am looking into a 9mm AR deal.

how about posting the paper when its done?

-patry
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#22]
1) When it went over $200/case of 1,000, I quit buying--thank god I stored some....

2)Reloads

3)Maybe I'm too old and remember cheap surplus--but surplus is surplus--the point WAS good, cheap ammo to get trigger-time--and also kill motorcycle zombies, as needed. I can't see paying over $250/K for surplus. My tax dollars paid once--why am I paying again? At times, surplus is destroyed or given to our allies. Friggin' Klinton and his "let's not sell surplus ammo--it's designed to kill people..."

4)Haven't bought any as above. I agree Dillon, et al. in the reloading biz are doing great business, at least from me.

5)Thought about it, but I'd rather put the money into reloading 9mm, .45ACP, 5.56NATO and 7.62NATO, as well as my others like .38Spl, 44Mag, etc.

Hope this helps your paper. If you ARE doping market research--make cheaper ammo and sell quality ammo inexpensively--it will more than make your quantity of money.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Questions

for me we're there already.

yes, wolf is all I shoot now.

150-200 bucks would within my budget

ohhh ya.

no, but I shoot pistols alot more now and am looking into a 9mm AR deal.

how about posting the paper when its done?

-patry

It will be pretty boring.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#24]

$300/1K. $0.30 per round is my limit.

I've always shot Wolf as well as premium ammo. And even Wolf is getting rather expensive.

$200/1K is a good price. Anything less than $300/1K is acceptable.

Yes. I spend the same amount of money and end up with much less ammo. I do not reload, but I do sell my once-shot brass to some local reloaders to help out my costs.

Yes. I have always shot and enjoyed my 7.62x39 rifles. I also shoot alot of 22LR and 40S&W. I take my 17HMR when I want to shoot for accuracy instead of my AR.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#25]
If i had the money, i would have done an econometric analysis of shooting accuracy in my jr. year of college. unfortunately, even my college wouldn't pay for the equipment needed for the study.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
The paper is mostly finished. It only needed to be 1000 words in length. The responses I got here proved my point that demand in the civilian market is elastic, and prices are currently high enough that there is little demand. Thanks for all the help.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top