Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 8:42:03 AM EDT
How are you guys storing your 12 gauge ammo? I have been adding 00 buck for the last few months and I have really no good way to store it. Right now I have it in 50 cal cans still in the card board. I should obviously take it out of the card board but what other cans work well. What other ideas have you professional whores figured out for storing 12 gauge ammo?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I got it stuffed in a .50 cal can with a couple packs of dessicant.

I also got a loaded bandoleir thrown on a shelf for quick deployment!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I should obviously take it out of the card board

Why?  There's not going to be much space savings, and boxes keep the shells lined up.  Unless you're actually going to take the time to line up each shell, the boxes will allow you to store more per can.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I got it stuffed in a .50 cal can with a couple packs of dessicant.

I also got a loaded bandoleir thrown on a shelf for quick deployment!!

A .30 cal can holds 100 rounds of 2 3/4" 12 ga loose.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Where do I get dessicant?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where do I get dessicant?

If you want to go el cheapo, hit a local sporting goods store.  It's the stuff they pack in new shoes... little packets that say "DO NOT INGEST"
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
And if I don't want to steal it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Ask them for it.....

Or go to a local Radio Shack and see if they have an upcoming shipment
and ask if they can stash them for you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sorry, I meant that you should ask them for some.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Where is a good online source for dessicant?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For some reason, that went straight over my head. I pictured my self in the store trying on every single pair of shoes/boots, they had, just to get some dessicant. I wonder if anyone would have noticed!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For some reason, that went straight over my head. I pictured my self in the store trying on every single pair of shoes/boots, they had, just to get some dessicant. I wonder if anyone would have noticed!

LOL! Doubtful....I fill in at a Target Pharmacy now and then and the shoe dept floor is covered with them.  I just considered them too small to be effective in ammo cans.  I guess I need to 'sweep' the area more.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]
You can pick them up at Academy for ~ $7 a bag (large bag)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife and kids are gonna hate me for doing this. But hey, just one more way for me to embarrass my teenager!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  There's not going to be much space savings, and boxes keep the shells lined up.  Unless you're actually going to take the time to line up each shell, the boxes will allow you to store more per can.

I read a few places here that says the cardboard holds the moisture in??

I have a very dry basement with a dehumidifier that keeps the basement at 40% now. I always wondered if it should be lower....
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read a few places here that says the cardboard holds the moisture in??

I have a very dry basement with a dehumidifier that keeps the basement at 40% now. I always wondered if it should be lower....

I've read that 50% is good and dry so you should be really good to go but if you were to go lower you could start having problems with your joists and such.  I keep my dehumidifier set to 50% and have no worries about all of my ammo that is not in cans, which is most of it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#16]
This is where I got mine, the web site does not look that great but I got what I ordered

silicagelpackets.com/

Stacey
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I got my desiccant at Jake's
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:31:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How are you guys storing your 12 gauge ammo? I have been adding 00 buck for the last few months and I have really no good way to store it. Right now I have it in 50 cal cans still in the card board. I should obviously take it out of the card board but what other cans work well. What other ideas have you professional whores figured out for storing 12 gauge ammo?

Depends on the cilmate the ammo is stored in.

I have 12 gauge that was reloaded 7 years ago for Trap in 25 round cardboard boxes, in 12 gauge factory cardboard cases, and it still shoots fine.

My SD ammo is in sleeves put into an airtght plastic box like the ones you find in the sporting good stores, and it all runs fine.

That being said, it is all stored in Colorado, with the temp. never getting above 75 degrees, and OFF the floor. We don't have much humidity here.

Tack
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top