Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2007 5:28:19 PM EDT
With an eye towards reloading, and a rate of fire of about 300 rds a month, how would you utilize this "stash" where I plan to start reloading before I'm halfway through this and will be trying to save all brass?

1000 rd's reloads with LC brass
1000 rd's PMC
1500 rd's Remington UMC
1000 rd's Federal American Eagle
1200 rd's S&B
750   rd's green tip [I figure that's to be shot as a last resort]

Walsh
fledgling sheepdog
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot everything up, except the Federal AE223.  That is considered one of the better non-5.56 loads available.  I wouldn't hesitate using that as SHTF ammo.  The rest shoot it up and reloaded as you shoot it.  I don't like mixing headstamps for reloading, so I would just shoot one brand/headstamp up and reload then move on to the next.  

I have my 5.56mm ammo stored, and I buy/shoot remington UMC and FEDAE223 55gr stuff then reload it and store it.  Gotten a fair sized stash this way.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Just ship them to my house, never waste ammo!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the year of manufacture on the PMC it could be M193 spec ammo...

Older stuff imported through till about summer of 1998 was full tilt M193 spec 55grn, then it got watered down at some point and when it reappeared it was never quite the same.

There was also some PMC imported that was most definitely South African production with a clearly different bullet crimp and primer sealant.

The South African and the stuff that came after it was lower pressure and iffy compared to the good stuff that came in pre 1998.

First stuff I would shoot would be the UMC.   Softish brass that makes reloading fairly easy, though be CAREFUL on the lube you use or you'll wind up ripping rims from the brass and have stuck cases in your dies.   But it's fairly simple to process if you are looking for some brass to use for reloading.   The UMC stuff won't last as long as the better brass like the LC or PMC(though some PMC has off center flash holes so a Lee Universal Decapping Die is wise).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just ship them to my house, never waste ammo!

I searched all over for your address and I had to take delivery here at my home. You should have let me known earlier .

Walsh

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Shoot everything up, except the Federal AE223.  That is considered one of the better non-5.56 loads available.  I wouldn't hesitate using that as SHTF ammo.  The rest shoot it up and reloaded as you shoot it.  I don't like mixing headstamps for reloading, so I would just shoot one brand/headstamp up and reload then move on to the next.  

I have my 5.56mm ammo stored, and I buy/shoot remington UMC and FEDAE223 55gr stuff then reload it and store it.  Gotten a fair sized stash this way.  

Aside from equipment, is there a particular online source you use for primer, bullets, and powder?

Thanks,
Walsh
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

There was also some PMC imported that was most definitely South African production with a clearly different bullet crimp and primer sealant.

Is that brass, if identified, reloadable?

I've searched for some info on production years via lot numbers on the boxes but I haven't located any info yet.

Thanks,
Walsh
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top