Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2007 9:58:11 PM EDT
Does anyone know anything about this "military contract surplus" 63gr SP Federal that is boxed as AE some sites are selling?  I wasn't aware that there was a military 63gr SP?  I didn't find anything about it in the archives.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw it myself, and am rather suspicious of the whole thing. As far as I know, the military never uses soft point ammo. (Special forces and other special ops units maybe.)  Aside from that, if I remember correctly the price wasn't all that great. There are still deals available, so I don't see the need to pay $10/box for ammo just yet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not terribly eager about 10 bucks a box either.  But considered picking up a small amount for hunting, it sounds pretty hot for 63gr SP
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#3]
anyone have a link to a vendor for this ammo?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a ton of AE 63gr SP. It is not military contract by any means though. AFAIK no military unit uses SP ammo. AE is a sub brand of Federal, which is made in Lake City. They use surplus brass to load AE which is why it has the Nato Cross. It is great ammo for plinking, but is not milspec.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The real question is what kind of dickhead vendor is advertising it as such?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a few boxes locally, was told at the store, and have read online, that it is a law enforcement contract overrun, not military.  It does have sealed primers, and is .223 FC marked brass, as previously stated in an earlier post.  I haven't shot any yet
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, but I called 2 different reps for Federal and it is not military. It is produced for a Government Agency. The 63gr bullet is similar to the Fusion bullet. The primers are also sealed and it has a date stamp on it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#8]
That sounds more believable to me that it is LE ammo.  However, mine has no date stamp....simply   FC  223 REM with the sealed primers  (very inconsistantly sealed, some have tons of sealant, some have little to none.)

Edit:   I noticed that even though this is supposed to be a 63gr speer soft point bullet....Speer doesn't have a 63gr offering in loaded ammo or bullets.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Hewre is one place:  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=371785

I will have to give them a call later to let them know of the mistake. I would suggest everyone else does, too. One person can be ignored, it is harder to ignore lots of people calling.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#10]
It is a load manufactured for ICE not military use. The bullet is made by Speer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#11]
What is ICE?  

Edit:  Ah....Immigration and customs enforcement
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top