Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2007 5:57:04 PM EDT
I noticed some of my M855 rounds have very tiny dents in the casings.  I'm wondering if this is why this ammo ended up as surplus and whether or not they will work properly.  I fired a mag of this stuff already with no issues, but maybe I've gotten lucky so far.  Here are a few pics:

Look at the top round in the mag.

They are kind of hard to see but are mainly near the shoulder which is why I was concerned.  Looking through about 100 of these rounds just now it seems that about half of them have one or maybe a few of these little dimples.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#1]
i have had much worst, so enjoy the ammo.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't shoot those at all....

If you send me half of what you have, I can run a testing sample through one of my calibrated ammo dischargers. I can check for cracking, bulging, or potential problems.

I will get back with you after the testing is complete.

I'll even pay for shipping
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wouldn't shoot those at all....

If you send me half of what you have, I can run a testing sample through one of my calibrated ammo dischargers. I can check for cracking, bulging, or potential problems.

I will get back with you after the testing is complete.

I'll even pay for shipping

I figured a response like this was coming.  People on this site really love their ammo!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The good news is: after firing, the dents will disappear! Like new! Only empty!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#5]
They are fine. I called Winchester about some M855 I ordered from Outdoor Marksman, Because I plan to carry it on duty. He E-Mailed me and said there may be a few cosmetic (green pain chip) or minor dings, but the ammo is just fine. My #1 choice for shtf.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My #1 choice for shtf.

I agree.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several thousand rounds of Winchester M855 ball. It is cosmetic reject stuff they can sell to the public because it doesn't meet gov. standards, but it works flawlessly. I plan on getting into reloading and I will have lots and lots of this brass ready to go.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a few hundred rounds of this(win. m855) and it looks fugly but shoots great. Don't worry about it. Kinda weird,but years ago I bought some m855pd from S.G and it shot very weel and looked freakin' beautiful! I only have about one bandolier left,wished I'd saved it! So A few years later I go to the gun-show and buy a case of (supposedly) non-pd stuff and it looks just like yours! Don't worry,it shoots great-if your willing to shoot it,I'm not!-but looks crappy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Please read the Ammo Oracle in the Ammo FAQ tacked at the top of the page.

The ammo oracle is all jacked up.  The bottom 1/3 or so is having a coding problem or something.  Last night I found a different site that had all the same info duplicated but didn't have any technical problems, and now I can't find that site.  Do you know which one I'm talking about?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The ammo is fine.

You really need to work on a Macro lens.  

Joe
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The ammo is fine.

Joe

My digital camera is a fairly old and cheap 4 Megapixel model.  Without ample light it seems to take fuzzy pictures in macro mode.  It also will not use flash in macro mode.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Those look better than the BH 77 grain seconds I own.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Shoot it or add it to your stockpile.  When you shoot it the pressures will iron out the dimples, then send me the empty brass.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The ammo is fine.

Joe

My digital camera is a fairly old and cheap 4 Megapixel model.  Without ample light it seems to take fuzzy pictures in macro mode.  It also will not use flash in macro mode.

Try using alot more ambient light so it will be able to focus better. That will help with the fuzzies. If you have to, let it try to focus a couple of times before you snap the pic.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Shoot it or add it to your stockpile.  When you shoot it the pressures will iron out the dimples, then send me the empty brass.

I actually lost 60rds of LC 05 brass because I shot at a retarded range that wouldn't let me keep it.  I'll never shoot there again because I need to keep as much 5.56 brass as possible.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually lost 60rds of LC 05 brass because I shot at a retarded range that wouldn't let me keep it.  I'll never shoot there again because I need to keep as much 5.56 brass as possible.
This is why there's a brass catcher in my range bag.  Fuggem.  It's yours, and unless you are notified that all spent brass becomes their property, they have nothing to say to you.  But I like your plan-starve the idiots.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top