Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2007 3:11:59 PM EDT
    Apparently, I ran across some LE223T1 for a dirt cheap price of 13.99 a box of 20. In case your wondering, this stuff is selling right now at $31 plus a box when you can find it. Whats interesting is the case code is XM223T1. I'm guessing this is the same deal as XM193 ammo.

I've been looking for some of this hard to get ammo for about a year now. I had a good sized stash of this ammo before today. Now I'm debating on going back and cleaning them out.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Methinks you scored well good man.

What's the consensus of the 55 grainers compared to the 62s?  

Congratulations,
Scott
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What's the consensus of the 55 grainers compared to the 62s?  

62gr appears to be at the top of the list for windshield penetration tests. There have been a few posts (with excellent pics) on here showing the penetration capabilities on various angled shots on automobiles. Hopefully someone can chime in with this info. It is a very devastating .223 round as far as penetration is concerned. Very accurate in any twist barrel I have shot it in. 1/9 or 1/7, would probably be ideal in a 1/12

55gr follows a very close second. Everything else pails in comparison.

In my go to weapons, I carry one 28rd mag of these coupled with another mag full of 75gr Black Hills Red Box. I figure I have the hard target, soft target scenerios covered with this setup.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Department price for the 62's is or was 220 for 200.  That was about a year ago.

The 55's are supposed to be almost as good in all areas as the 62's.  Not a bad score all things considered.

I figure each of my mags has well more money inside than the mag itself.  

Every test I have read shows it with great performance.  I don't even carry anything extra for non-barricade situations.  I expect my .40 will penetrate farther than the rifle will anyway.

Works well on deer and dogs.

Nobody who has looked at the pointy end has asked what I had loaded.  

Joe
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Performance in bare gel and heavy clothing is about the same for both loads, according to the ATK rifle book.

Through barriers, you're better off with the 62 gr.

Personally, if I wanted 12 inch windshield penetration with decent expansion, I'd use a .45 ACP carbine or .30 carbine, since the expanded diameter of the 62 gr through the glass resembles a .38 wadcutter. In my opinion, you sacrifice too much on non-barrier targets to get that increase in barrier performance to justify the round's high cost. The 110 gr .30 carbine SP from Remington has half the cost and better performance, but the .30 carbine isn't tacticool, high speed low drag enough for most departments.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice score.  Some guy gave me one box a couple a years ago and I just threw it in my glove box, thinking it was just some more .223 ammo.  Then I did a quick search earlier this year and about shat myself when I saw how expensive it was.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#6]
That apparently is the older loading of the TRU Bonded load. We buy it for penetration along with the TRU 55 grain with the Ballistic tip...
The box has change but I doubt the ammo has....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
    Apparently, I ran across some LE223T1 for a dirt cheap price of 13.99 a box of 20. In case your wondering, this stuff is selling right now at $31 plus a box when you can find it. Whats interesting is the case code is XM223T1. I'm guessing this is the same deal as XM193 ammo.

I've been looking for some of this hard to get ammo for about a year now. I had a good sized stash of this ammo before today. Now I'm debating on going back and cleaning them out.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/eightbawl/le223t1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/eightbawl/le223a.jpg
you lucky dog
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top