Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2007 5:25:55 PM EDT
I just want a manufact to make a good hunting round.  I will mostly be using my 6.8 for whitetails, pronghorn, and mule deer.  I really leaning to the Hornady 110 Grain  HPBT/WC.  I also like the Remington Premier Ammunition 115 Grain Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded, but they are a very expensive round.  I know that Silver State Armory Ammunition  110 Grain Sierra Pro-Hunter that seems to be getting good reviews.
I am waiting to see what Black Hills has up their sleeves.

Any one with input and experiences?
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
just a little input?
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Are people still having some feed problems with the Hornady when used in their ar15s?
I saw that one or two people had problems with this, was it a rare case or a common one?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
anyone on the Hornady ammo before I buy some for my rra 6.8?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
www.68forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=32

INTRO:
I have put together this thread as an informative thread for the new guys or anyone else who needs help with selecting some ammo for Home Defense, Military, Hunting, Varmint Hunting, and LE.

Before I begin, I just want to touch up on the Remington 6.8SPC.  If you are using the 6.8SPC in an AR-15, there is an OAL that you have to keep in mind.  With the C-Products magazines, the ammo should be no longer than 2.280" to load reliably.  If you have PRI or Barrett magazines you can load them to 2.30".  Also, due to the limited powder capacity, it is best to load bullets in the range of 90-115 Gr., although you can load some of the 130 Gr., you will be hard pressed to get velocity over 2200fps.

Rifle Twists:
The two most popular twists for the Remington 6.8 SPC are the 1:11" twist and the 1:10" twist.  Both twists can handle bullets from 90-135 Gr., but the 1:11" twist is supposed to reduce the pressure and is quickly becoming the popular choice.  

AMMO TYPES:
1. FMJ-Full Metal Jacket (Ball Ammo).  Unknown at what velocity the Remington FMJ fragments, but the SSA Extreme FMJ is supposed to fragments at 2100+ fps.
2. OTM-Open Tip Match.
HP-Hollow Point.
SMK-Sierra Match King.  Generally fragments at 2100+ fps.
3. SP-Soft Point.  Generally expands at 1700+ fps.
4. BT-Ballistic Tip.  Generally expands or fragments at 1900+ fps.

NOTE: You may see the letter "BT" (Boat-Tail) in front or after the above ammo types. BT stands for "Boat Tail" and refers to the base of the bullet. A "Boat Tail" is a sloping end which narrows gently at the base of the bullet, so that the cross-section resembles the shape of a boat's hull. The boat tail shape reduces drag on a bullet, helping it to retain velocity and resist deflection from crosswinds, but causes the bullet to take longer to "settle" after leaving the barrel compared to a standard "flat-base" bullet. Boat tail bullets are usually selected for long-range shooting, while the flat-base bullet shape tends to be more accurate at short ranges. A "HPBT" bullet is a "Hollow Point Boat Tail" bullet.

The last thing I would like to explain is a “Cannelure.” A Cannelure is a cut or pressed groove (or grooves) around the shank of a bullet. Cannelures provide an area into which the case mouth may be securely crimped. Military ammo has cannelures to prevent bullet set-back. Bullets with cannelures are not generally used in match ammo because cannelures may decrease the accuracy of the bullet. For Military/LE purposes, bullets with cannelures are preferred. For sniper type applications, bullets without cannelures are usually used.

HOME PROTECTION AND LE APPLICATIONS:
Penetration and Fragmentation are key for Home Protection/LE applications.  10-12" is ideal to ensure that it will reach the vital organs.

1.  Hornady:
a.  110 Gr. TAP/110 Gr. V-Max.
b.  110 Gr. BTHP TAP/110 Gr. BTHP.

2.  Remington:
a.  115 Gr. BTHP.
b.  115 Gr. FMJ.

3.  Silver State Armory:
a.  115 Gr. SMK Enhanced Fragmentation Version.
b.  115 Gr. Extreme FMJ.  (SSA no longer makes these.).

Note: Home protection usually means CQB-100 yard type situations.

BARRIER PENETRATION AMMO:

1.  Remington:
a.  115 Gr. Core Lockt SP.
2.  Silver State Armory:
a.  110 Gr. Barnes XXX.
b.  110 Gr. Pro-Hunters.

MILITARY:
For Military purposes, just keep in mind that the Military only allows FMJ or BTHP/OTM ammo, but no Ballistic Tip ammo or Soft Point or anything that has a mushroom effect. For the Military, bullets with Cannelures are a must. Examples:

1.  Hornady:
a.  110 Gr. BTHP TAP/110 Gr. BTHP.

2.  Remington:
a.  115 Gr. BTHP.
b.  115 Gr. FMJ.

3.  Silver State Armory:
a.  115 Gr. SMK Enhanced Fragmentation Version.
b.  115 Gr. Extreme FMJ.  (SSA no longer makes these.).

Note: BTHP/OTM is generally twice as accurate as the FMJ ammo, but it doesn't penetrate as deep.

HUNTING:
For hunting Soft Point Bullets or the Barnes XXX are preferred because they expand/mushroom and the bullet stays together and they won't damage as much meat as the bullets that fragment. Examples:

1.  Remington:
a.  115 Gr. Core Lockt SP.

2.  Silver State Armory:
a.  110 Gr. Barnes XXX.
b.  110 Gr. Pro-Hunters.

MATCH/COMPETITION/SNIPER AMMO:
Hand loading your own ammo is the best way to get the most accuracy out of your rifle. But for us that don’t get into reloading, here are some examples:

1.  Remington:
a.  115 Gr. SMK.

2.  Silver State Armory:
a.  115 Gr. SMK.

Note: Cannelures are generally not used because of possible accuracy loss.

VARMINT HUNTING:
Varmint Hunters want a bullet that offers great accuracy and rapid expansion.  Some of the best bullets for Varmint hunting are the lighter 90-100 Gr. bullets, but currently no one loads them in factory ammunition.

1.  Hornady:
a.  110 Gr. TAP/110 Gr. V-Max.

PLINKING AMMO:
Silver State Armory was the only company that made reasonably priced FMJ ammo and they stopped making.  They are coming out with a new 115 Gr. FMJ round that should be reasonably priced for Plinking.

1.  Silver State Armory:
a.  115 Gr. Extreme FMJ.  (SSA no longer makes these.).

Maximum Performance Range of the 6.8SPC:

1.  Hornady 110 Gr. V-Max with a muzzle velocity of 2550 fps, will fragment from 1900+ fps, which leaves a maximum performance range of 305 yards.
2.  Hornady 110 Gr. BTHP with a muzzle velocity of 2550 fps, will fragment from 2100+ fps, which leaves a maximum performance range of 200 yards.
3.  Hornady 115 Gr. BTHP with a muzzle velocity of 2550 fps, will fragment from 2100+ fps, which leaves a maximum performance range of 200 yards.
4.  Sierra 110 Gr. Pro-Hunters with a muzzle velocity of 2500fps, will expand from 1700+ fps, which leaves a maximum performance range of 330 yards.
5.  Sierra 115 Gr. SMK with a muzzle velocity of 2500fps, will fragment from 2100+ fps, which leaves a maximum performance range of 160 yards.
6.  Sierra 130 Gr. Pro-Hunters with a muzzle velocity of 2100fps, will expand from 1700+ fps, which leaves a maximum performance range of 220 yards.

CONCLUSION:
I just put this together to help out some of the new guys that are getting into the 6.8SPC and need help with ammo selection.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I have hear from Remington and their BTHP is reccomended for my purposes.
Has anyone had any problem witht he hornady in a RRA 6.8?
What about BGlack hills, I have heard that they are making 6.8 but unable to find out details.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have hear from Remington and their BTHP is reccomended for my purposes.
Has anyone had any problem witht he hornady in a RRA 6.8?
What about BGlack hills, I have heard that they are making 6.8 but unable to find out details.

FYI, the Remington 115 Gr. BTHP uses the Hornady 115 Gr. bullets, which are very explosive and will ruin a lot of meat.  If you like the Remington, try the 115 Gr. Core loct SP.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top