Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2007 12:50:26 PM EDT
Hello,
 I just got my first AR15 and I love it. My Father had purchased a case of some military surplus ammo with "RP" headstamp on it (I think). Anyway, It would not cycle in my 20 mid gas tube length AR. It would only fire a single round and then click. I later found out that it was short stroking the bolt because it was a british surplus and was designed for only firing in short gas tube barrels because it was not "Full Nato power". So my question is are there any other ones I should stay away from? I know LC (Lake City) is OK but who else may have this problem?

Robb
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
sure the headstamp wasn't RORG? that's Radway Green, RP is Remington-Peters which is usually sold in the green and white boxes marked UMC
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
considering surplus 223 is pretty much gone.... i don't think your going to ahve anymore problems

Ditto
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hello,
 I just got my first AR15 and I love it. My Father had purchased a case of some military surplus ammo with "RP" headstamp on it (I think). Anyway, It would not cycle in my 20 mid gas tube length AR. It would only fire a single round and then click. I later found out that it was short stroking the bolt because it was a british surplus and was designed for only firing in short gas tube barrels because it was not "Full Nato power". So my question is are there any other ones I should stay away from? I know LC (Lake City) is OK but who else may have this problem?

Robb
British "RORG" ammunition is loaded with a stick-type powder, so it has a different pressure curve, but it is still "full power" ammunition.  Because of the vagaries of different ARs, some like it and some hate it.  You can find the same dichotomy about Wolf...

Knowing more about your particular AR would probably help figure out whether it was actually that particular ammunition or something else; there are a number of potential causes of short stroking, including poorly attached gas keys and not enough lube in (not just on) the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
sure the headstamp wasn't RORG? that's Radway Green, RP is Remington-Peters which is usually sold in the green and white boxes marked UMC

Yep You are right. It is RORG.

My AR is a DPMS lower with RRA trigger. It has a 20" DPMS 1X9 Barrel fluted and a fully floated hand guard. It was built by my favorite gunsmith (also my Brother :) ) and he tried everything to get that stuff to shoot. When he switched to some of his LC stuff, it fired and never missed a shot. I got the story I related earlier from a local Gunshop that builds lots of custom ARs. The minute I showed him the case, he knew exactly what was wrong.

I picked up some Remington UMC 55gr from Walmart to try at the range. I will see how that goes. I was just curious if any other surplus stuff would be made similarly.

Robb
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like your particular AR is just a slightly picky eater.  Stuff like this happens...
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My 20" won't cycle it at all.  My 16" M-forgery runs like a top with RG.  Weird.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Is your 20" a mid length gas tube type? That seems to be what some guys think is the problem with this particular load. Like I said, the LC stuff works great. My gun never missed a shot.

My borthers all have 16" barrels with the shorter gas tubes. They all seem to use it fine. Either way, I will just stay away from that load.

Robb
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My 20" won't cycle it at all.  My 16" M-forgery runs like a top with RG.  Weird.

same here
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top