Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 5:12:10 PM EDT
I'm wondering if I'm a little bit anal here.

When I order a case of surplus like radway or something I'll hand check every round before I put it into a stripper clip for storage.  My thinking is that when I need a working round then I need a working round if you catch my drift.

Am I being a little bit too anal about this?  I mean sure, I can tap, rack, bang but I would rather not have to.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it's anal. You are reducing the chance that an out of spec round will fire, but you could also find one that would blow your gun up in your face.

I check every one of mine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, I do the same thing. Especially, if I am selling the ammo to someone. I won't sell questionable ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree.  It would be careless not to check.  My gun (and my face) is worth way too much not to take the extra time.

In my latest batch of radway, I found one damaged round per ammo can... I mean REALLY damaged.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I check as I load the mag.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ditto.  I never check before that.  If I did, I'd end up checking twice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I check every round before putting them away. Extra careful with XM855PD.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto.  I never check before that.  If I did, I'd end up checking twice.

thats what i do, i dont like to open the boxes before i have to.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Not EVERY rnd....    Although after just accouple of rnds i've come across and what has been shown/posted.. here....   "it's hard not wanting too"....
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Every round into the bunker here goes from the box/case into the polisher, through my hands back to the box/case.  If I ever have to grab that shit and go, I don't have to worry.
A few hours now is worth your ass later, no?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Anything that goes into storage or on a stripper gets inspected. I found quite a few questionable rounds on my last purchase of Black Hills

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't check every single round that I buy.  I will check any non-rimfire ammo that came from boxes that shows signs of ever being opened, or has visible carton crush or wear damage, or is packaged in plastic bags (or is bulk packed in non-sealed cans).
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Thomas,

You're not anal, just smart.  If everybody checked their ammo, there would be fewer Ka-BOOM reports, and lots more happy shooters...

Carter

P.S.  I check ALL my ammo, of all types, and know it's easier to deep-six bad ammo, than buy new weapons...  cfl
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I've checked every round I have when I open the boxes and then again as I load the mags.  It's cheap insurance even though I only feed my rifle XM193 and TAP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1 - I don't want to check three lifetimes worth of ammo until I go to shoot it, that way if I never need all of it, my son can spend time checking it before he shoots the rest of it off.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I inspect every round as it goes onto a stripper clip and into bandoleers before it gets put into an ammo can.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I do it, too. Just the other day I found a few rounds of Q313A with large dents, and one with a split on the neck.
It's definately a good thing to do--better safe than sorry.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top