Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2006 5:43:15 AM EDT
Hi,

I did a search of Amerc, american ammo, and finally american ammunition provided no results current and none in the archives.

All I found was a one liner in the FAQ saying to avoid at all costs.

So, I have 500 rounds of 223 American Ammunition stamped "556 a-merc"

What is so wrong with this ammo?  Is it going to harm my gun?  I bought this ammo as range ammo, is it so bad that it can't qualify as even that, Range Ammo?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Amerc brass sucks, the ammo is out of spec, and you're taking a risk in shooting it. Will something bad happen in 500 rounds? Probably not, but I wouldn't run it in MY gun.
I think you went too far.  I would not use this ammo at all in ANY gun.  "Out of spec" ammunition is an accident waiting to happen, and I for one am NOT going to help add to the statistical probability that it eventually WILL happen.

Zhukov, a question: is the BRASS the only bad thing about this stuff?  If someone would give me 100 rounds, would I wind up with 100 usable bullets if I pulled them?  Or should this stuff be used for ballast and not much else?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought 500 rds. of it from SG about a year ago.  I looked at the first box and found over half of the first 50 rds. had split/cracked cases.  Needless to say I sent it back.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I had 500 rounds of .38 special.  After about 400 rounds I had a squib load.  Fortunately the bullet lodged between the cylinder and the barrel so I couldn't fire the next round.

The last 100 rounds went in the trash.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 500 .223 rounds that I bought two years ago. I decided to shoot it with the mini 14 at 25 yards. I shoot 10 rounds and then walk up to the target. I find about 6 holes, 2 of them it looked like the bullet tumbled. I am never touching that stuff again!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I noticed on gunbroker that a lot of people are now listing Amerc as IMI ammo. I received some info from American a few months ago but did not read it. They wanted me to Distribute in my area with a promise of large profits.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=62778180
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought some of their crap ammo years ago when it came in the clear plastic clamshell boxes. It was .38Spl 158gr LRN and it would keyhole, it was very weak and made huge plumes of stinky smoke. I did not finish that box and dumped all of it. Good thing I only got 2 boxes.

I dont see how they stay in business as anyone in their right mind who has used their ammo once would never touch that stuff again. Perhaps they rely on new, unaware first time buyers or gangbangers buying the cheapest ammo for their Lorcin or Hipoint.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input,

I did search subject only in the archive search, not body.  The words American and Ammunition I am sure would result in many hits, but few, if any would be what I was looking for.

I was unaware of the problem with the ammo when I purchased it.  I am going to consider this a lesson learned as the shop I bought it from clearly states with signage and on the receipt All Sales Final.

Thanks again People...
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought some in 2004. They spit out primers like nobody's business. Luckily the vendor I bought it from refunded me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow.  Almost makes me wish I was in the ammo business.  Even I can do better than that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I have never shot it and I'm suprised it's marked 5.56, I always figured it was .223 ammo, unless you have a speacial run of 5.56.  I would look it over and if the rounds look good I would shoot it.  They are a somewhat major ammonition manufactuer so they have to take alot or precautions to produce safe ammo or they would have been sued out of business by now.  They may not make the best ammo in the world and from everything I've heard they certainly don't but check the rounds you have and if they look OK shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I always figured it was .223 ammo, unless you have a speacial run of 5.56.

The box is marked 223 55g C3, but it is only Stamped A-Merc 556 06.  I have looked over every round, no cracks.  Not polished brass, but that is typical for the price range.  I might give it a go at the range, I will just be sure to watch the back stop to make sure EVERY round clears the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Amerc brass sucks, the ammo is out of spec, and you're taking a risk in shooting it. Will something bad happen in 500 rounds? Probably not, but I wouldn't run it in MY gun.
I think you went too far.  I would not use this ammo at all in ANY gun.  "Out of spec" ammunition is an accident waiting to happen, and I for one am NOT going to help add to the statistical probability that it eventually WILL happen.

Zhukov, a question: is the BRASS the only bad thing about this stuff?  If someone would give me 100 rounds, would I wind up with 100 usable bullets if I pulled them?  Or should this stuff be used for ballast and not much else?

I don't know about their rifle stuff. For their pistol ammo, it has *NO* redeeming qualities.
The ammo is inconsistent and inaccurate. The bullets they used in the pistol ammo are
CRAP. Think Berry's ( or Rainier ) plated bullets, then put a few thousand of them in a
cement mixer. The bullets tended to be deformed and dinged. I've even seen some where the ogive was off-center. The brass is also crap. Most of it won't even chamber again after you seat a bullet in it. The primer pockets were so inconsistent that when reloading, some primers just fell out, while other crushed the primer while trying to seat it.

I wouldn't wish this ammo on anyone. Hell, I wouldn't wish the brass on a reloader.

Rant off:

Sam
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top